Netbook freezes randomly

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by maartendq, Jul 17, 2009.

1. maartendq

seb6969

I've this freezing problem since I bought this netbook.
    I contacted Acer support several times and no solution, I even sent the netbook for repair and they changed the mother board ... but still same problem.

My cases are:
    - RMA 3973537G --> Nov 2009, return for repair
    - RMA 4263970G --> Jan 2010, not possible to solve the problem ... no solution ... no reply to my questions for months ... then I opened a new case
    - 20061J (I've no other reference !) --> Sept 2010, proposed to update BIOS to latest version ... but it was already done by Acer support when they replaced the mother board.
    - I just open a new case as they systematically close the case after sending a supposed solution ... even if the solution is not confirmed to work by the customer.
    All cases to Acer Switzerland

I'm fighting with this @!$@!! netbook for 1.5 year now and it's still freezing randomly ! I spent more time on this netbook tying to solve this problem than really using it !!!!

THIS IS MY 1ST AND LAST ACER PRODUCT !!!

seb6969, Oct 6, 2010
  2. maartendq

cahyojc

Let's make a Facebook Fans Page called,.. "never buy ACER product anymore" :p :mrgreen: and see how many ppl will join?
    or there is one on FB already :twisted:

just wondering if our netbook is already out of warranty, will Acer still kindly give motherboard replacement for free including delivery/shipping? :ugeek: As it's a defective product!!

Acer's crap!! should sue them for wasting our time!!!!!

@Comms. I bought mine from COTD as well, was tempted with Free shipping & $79 cash back.
    but now there's so many better netbook than ACER cost under $200.

cahyojc, Oct 7, 2010
  3. maartendq

CaMoTe

@cahyojc
    start the page dude and i'll recruit everyone on my list...

@commsmonkey
    is your unit still working fine after the change in motherboard??? mine won't last an hour without a freeze...

CaMoTe, Oct 7, 2010
  4. maartendq

BadenPowell

Ok, mine too just freezed again,...
    I guess a0751h have indeed a design flaw, since the replaced motherboard + memory did not solve the issue...

This is very frustrating, an Acer never again...
    I will start the complain procedure (*Sigh*)...

I think they should recall the netbooks,... this is just plain stupid.

BadenPowell, Oct 8, 2010
  5. maartendq

CaMoTe

@ badenpowell

so mine isn't the only one that got the motherboard changed but still had the freezing problem then... would you know if they replaced the motherboard with the same one they took out? (z520)... cause freezer got his changed to Z530 and it was ok... i think...

post your ticket or complaint number when you get it...

CaMoTe, Oct 9, 2010
  6. maartendq

AcerFAIL

Having same problem.

Unfortunately I was not able to return my POS acer product to the retailer.

I spoke to acer tech support today. The first thing I was told was that I had to purchase their service. The person then told me that the problem was clearly a virus and therefore not covered by warranty.

I went ahead and restored system to original state...alt f10....no change. does not work.

I am beside myself. I will NEVER again purchase anything that acer has anything even remotely to do with. :evil: I feel as I have been robbed.

::edit:: I am collecting data to submit to the better business bureau

AcerFAIL, Oct 9, 2010
  7. maartendq

freezer

Yes, the Netbook is still working perfectly after they installed the Z530. I'm not the only one that got the Z530 installed. There were some other people on this board that also sent it to the same repair facility in Texas, USA and got the the Z530 installed. Although my netbook works perfectly, I'm still upset that I wasted so much time with Acer. (I sent it to them 4 times.) I'm still wondering if Acer is that stupid that they didn't know the problem existed, or were they that deceptive to pretend they didn't know it existed.

freezer, Oct 9, 2010
  8. maartendq

CaMoTe

thank you freezer... i am now thinking that it must be the z520 board since the z530 seemed to work alright...

and yes, the time spent just trying to figure this problem out is really just unacceptable...

i just sent an online complaint with the department of trade and industry (philippines) since i bought mine in the philippines... i am still researching on the appropriate government agency to file complaints like this in australia...

@acerfail
    where are you from???

CaMoTe, Oct 9, 2010
  9. maartendq

freezer

Los Angeles, California, USA

freezer, Oct 9, 2010
  10. maartendq

GuHaid

I am very sorry I have been so quiet and did not keep everybody up to date as promised. Was just very busy over the past weeks, apologies. So here is my update. Have a read here to see what the latest status was.

A few days after my 751 was taken away by the technician who had ordered the motherboard with the Z530 on it, I received a call. They said that they had problems sourcing that motherboard and whether I was happy with receiving a replacement unit. I said that either waiting for the new MB if necessary or a replacement unit would be fine. To me there was no rush.

Two days later a courier arrives with my replacement unit. Only about a week later I get around to opening the box. I was surprised to find an Aspire One 533 in the box. I have not even had the time to do anything else but boot it briefly. I have not even done any MS updates yet. But I assume my freezing drama is solved now.

The 533 is a very pretty unit, it is light and very sleek. I am basically happy with this replacement (which really is quite a decent upgrade), if only it was not for the smaller screen that it has. The main reason that attracted me to the 751 was the bigger higher res screen. Power and speed are for what I do on it completely irrelevant, screen size is not. Its not a drama though since I owned two 751, only one having the freeze problem. So I will take the 751 off my wife and hand her the new 533. She is fine with the smaller screen.

So, for me, problem solved. I agree that things like these should never happen and I agree that it has taken way too long to get my issue resolved. Having said that, I am overall happy. I have never been fobbed off by Acer, I have always been treated politely and people were professional. I am quite disappointed to read here about attempts to deliberately brick units or about class actions (guys, we are talking about a $300 item - you really want to take someone to court when your lawyer will charge you this amount per hour??? I think a reality check is necessary here)

So, good luck to everybody. I will keep an eye on this thread of course.

GuHaid, Oct 11, 2010
  11. maartendq

CaMoTe

@Guhaid...

how long ago did you get your replacement unit?? you were lucky...

i have sent them a message the day after my unit got a replacement motherboard saying that didn't fix the problem... haven't heard from them since then...

i stayed up all night doing a paper for school, finished around 12noon today, and around 40% of the time of it, i spent rebooting.. no exaggeration... :x

i sent them a message again this noon asking what they plan to do about it and asking for a copy of the service report of the technician's last visit, still nothing after 3 hours...

i really don't know what to do now...

and yes, it's just 300$, but for a student like me, that's a bit out of budget...

thanks for the update.. i hope i can have good news as well in the coming days...

by the way, how long did it take for you to get the replacement unit from the time they brought your malfunctioning unit with them???

CaMoTe, Oct 11, 2010
  12. maartendq

GuHaid

I am really sorry to hear about your problems and I was not trying to be condescending with my $300 comment. Still class actions and the like in my eyes are not the way to go about it for cases like this. And I would not call it lucky either, I of course think it was skillful :p . Patience, friendliness, persistence and an above average knowledge in how IT support systems and the people behind it work I think were the keys in my case.

Answering your question is not that simple because I have lost track of time over the past few weeks. My issue has been dragging on since June and the unit was back at Acer three times and had its MB changed once (with no effect). But from the time of the home visit to the time I got the call that they had problems sourcing the Z530 motherboard was maybe a week, give and take two days. I always stated when dealing with them that time was not important to me but a resolution was. Once I agreed to either wait for the MB or to receiving a replacement unit was only two days. Well, make that about 36 hrs (call late afternoon, next day nothing, then courier arrives in the morning).

I forgot, are you in Australia too?

GuHaid, Oct 11, 2010
  13. maartendq

CaMoTe

@GuHaid
    no worries boss... no offense taken...

and yup, i'm in sydney right now... but almost always out abroad...

i hope that their silence means that they are seriously considering options to resolve my issue for good...

CaMoTe, Oct 11, 2010
  14. maartendq

Dooce

New bios fixed problem

I had been experiencing freezing/crashing just as many of you have. I installed the latest Acer bios last week and the problem has gone away completely. Just FYI.

Dooce, Oct 13, 2010
  15. maartendq

CaMoTe

@dooce
    been there, done that... still freezing... the technician who came by himself has said that it's not a software problem...

all indicators point to a defective hardware, most likely the z520 motherboard...

CaMoTe, Oct 13, 2010
  16. maartendq

freezer

Re: New bios fixed problem

Did you try skype? If you can talk on skype for 5 mintues, then your problem is solved.

freezer, Oct 14, 2010
  17. maartendq

GuHaid

Re: New bios fixed problem

As far as the freezes and Skype are concerned, I certainly had great results with using a different driver. Everybody who has freeze problems caused by Skype in XP, have a read here. viewtopic.php?f=87&t=20607#p116549

Good luck.

GuHaid, Oct 14, 2010
  18. maartendq

GuHaid

Looks like this thread is running its natural course with most people getting tired and to a stage of "I cannot be bothered any more".
    I just noticed that the 751 has been removed from the products list on Acer's Australia Web site. Same with the US and the UK. So it too is taking its natural course and sooner than later will be forgotten.

RIP, 751h?? ;)

GuHaid, Oct 21, 2010
  19. maartendq

CaMoTe

pity to those who suffer in silence... i'm sure a lot more out there who don't go online much are experiencing the same problem as us...

CaMoTe, Oct 21, 2010
  20. maartendq

CaMoTe

just got my unit back from acer... after about 3weeks....

they replaced the motherboard with the z530... i am now wondering if they would have done so if i didn't tell them that... i told them that acer US seemed to have the z530 solve the problem when i last brought my unit in...

anyway, as always, i hope they got it right this time...

CaMoTe, Nov 9, 2010
Ask a Question