Netbook freezes randomly

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by maartendq, Jul 17, 2009.

1. maartendq

fort.a

Hi,
    I also tried to replace the internal module for another internal WiFi module (Intel). Unfortunately, without success. Notebook ran fine for three days and then re-frozen.

There is therefore no problem in the miniPCI slot?

fort.a, Mar 21, 2012
  2. maartendq

fort.a

How much chips have your ram modul? I had 16 chips and notebook was freezing, with 8 chips no freezing - 2 day.

fort.a, Apr 28, 2012
  3. maartendq

Ferguniu

Hi Guys, D257 owner here. I chose your forum because of the extensive interest into this problem.

I want to add a few details on this problem and maybe you guys know the trick to fix it.

The hardlocks on the Acer are for sure related to the router and ISP, and how the wireless card picks up the signal.

I use my Acer in Canada on a Bell router, and in Europe on a Netgear router. The problem of hardlock only occurs on the European connection, and it does not lock up when I am in Canada.

It is related to constant wi-fi streaming (ie. streaming a youtube video, downloads, something that requires a constant wi-fi transmission).

This is all I know about the problem.
    Any ideas?

Last edited: May 27, 2012
    Ferguniu, May 27, 2012
  4. maartendq

Ferguniu

Oh and I thought it might have something to do with MTU sizes, but I have tried to change it from 1500 to 1350, it did not fix the problem...

Ferguniu, May 27, 2012
  5. maartendq

Yellowstoner

I have the same issue and I do not think it is heat related. I can use it @ 71F on a cool granite counter top and experience this issue but it does seem to be random. In earlier research on the issue it is being linked to wifi use and heavy down load. I am skeptical of this but apparently that is/was a bio upgrade to address this. I was unsuccessful, and a bit thankful the bios upgrade would not install. The frequency of the freeze is not cumbersome but it does require a hard crash to correct. Unfortunate. My first bad experience with Acer. The problem is just as frequent in the US as any other country. Please let me know if someone find a solution to this issue.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    Yellowstoner, Sep 13, 2012
  6. maartendq

Ferguniu

A Revalation!

Hi guys, I may have cracked the perplexing issue just recently :) As I mentioned, the netbook never locked up in Canada, but it did on a Netgear router in Europe. There was one major difference: I use no password Open Authentication in Canada! (vs. WPA2 in Europe) So I looked on the Netgear router which constantly hardlocked my laptop, and realized I had been using a WPA2 authentication. I switched it to WEP, chose my key, and copied into the "Open Authentication with WEP" in connection settings. No more hard locks. I don't know the reasoning behind it, I'm a Win 7 user (as all new Acers are equipped with it). Let me know if anyone else has success with my solution :) Summary: Use WEP (or just open authentication)

Ferguniu, Sep 14, 2012
  7. maartendq

Yellowstoner

I have changed boot order to Network, will let you know!

I have read in several forums that changing the boot order addresses the freeze issue with the AO722 running Win7 and or Ubuntu. I am giving it a try and will let you know!:)

Yellowstoner, Sep 15, 2012
Ask a Question