Netbook Installer (NBI) 0.8.4 RC1 problems

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by lavrishevo, Apr 2, 2010.

1. lavrishevo

lavrishevo

So, after some reading it seems with the install of NBI 0.8.4 rc1 you can just do an auto update of 10.6.3 Snow Leopard. I downloaded and installed NBI 0.8.4 rc1 and after the reboot, no installation of 10.6.3, I am stuck at a kernel panic and no way of entering recovery mode. Any ideas? I get the little spinning line at the very top right of the screen for a few seconds before the kernel panic but no key or combination thereof seems to get into a mode that I can boot from my old kernel or start recovery mode. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Daniel

lavrishevo, Apr 2, 2010
  2. lavrishevo

brogie

Use nbmaker 0.8.3rc5 USB DVD install again 10.6.0 without formating partition. Choose again same thing from customize. You will not loose Your stuff. Restart

brogie, Apr 3, 2010
  3. lavrishevo

iibosshog

I have almost the same problem, but my AOD150 is stuck in boot loop. I tried to install SL Dvd from scratch but right at the beginning when it's copying the files it gives me a KP. Please Help.

iibosshog, Apr 3, 2010
  4. lavrishevo

brogie

use usb meklort's method - usb installation

brogie, Apr 4, 2010
  5. lavrishevo

murakawa0325

Does anyone boot AAO netbook after installing NBI 0.8.4 RC1 successfully?
    When I tried it, my AAO 751h happened kernel panic.

murakawa0325, Apr 6, 2010
  6. lavrishevo

lavrishevo

I think there is a compatibility issue with NBI 0.8.4 RC1 and the Aspire One's.

lavrishevo, Apr 6, 2010
  7. lavrishevo

Infected24

Infected24, Apr 6, 2010
  8. lavrishevo

brogie

brogie, Apr 6, 2010
  9. lavrishevo

winterbrew

winterbrew, Apr 7, 2010
  10. lavrishevo

lavrishevo

Might be an issue with the A0A150's or it could just be me. It was running great until 0.8.4. I might give OSX a break and run windows 7 on there for a while. I much prefer OSX but I hate the idea of the system going down with an update and some of the components not working... e.g., sleep mode, card readers, and internal mic. We will see how long I can take Windows 7...

lavrishevo, Apr 7, 2010
  11. lavrishevo

iibosshog

Unfortunately i don't have a real MAC to restore the SL DVD to a USB stick. I managed to see some of the really quick message appearing before it reboots: sounds like "No preboot ramdisk efi_...". It looks like the bootloader is been deleted or something. Any other ideas? Thanks.

iibosshog, Apr 7, 2010
  12. lavrishevo

lavrishevo

The only other suggestion is to download it (isohunt) on another computer and burn it to a dvd and hook up an external dvd drive or use the techniques described through some of the website to use a PC to create the image on a memory stick. It is a pain in the butt without a mac. I wish I could help you... Send me your drive with return postage and I will do it for you and send it back. Know anybody with a mac you can borrow for about an hour?

lavrishevo, Apr 7, 2010
  13. lavrishevo

winterbrew

Hmm, I wasn't confident the update was going to work, so I prepped an new USB stick with Netbook maker 0.8.4 RC1 and SL retail on my D250 (10.6.2) prior to performing the upgrade. Fortunately, all worked fine.

It could be an issue with AOA150. I haven't tried it on mine, just the D250 which went very smoothly

winterbrew, Apr 8, 2010
  14. lavrishevo

lavrishevo

Could be the A0A 150 or maybe my installation. I was running 10.6.2 but booting using 10.6.1's kernel as I understand this is the way it is done as the new kernels don't support the Atom processor. I assume this is still the same for 10.6.3

Honestly, Windows 7 ultimate runs pretty good on the A0A 150. I like not having to deal with viruses and other junk but I just use this little machine to mess around and get on the internet. I think I may leave it with windows for now as the pain the butt factor of kernel panics and loss of certain features outweigh the delight of it running Snow Leopard.

lavrishevo, Apr 8, 2010
  15. lavrishevo

winterbrew

Yes, you're right there. Win7 Pro ran fine on my AOA150 when I tried it, dare I say, even better than XP Pro :lol:

I has iAtkos V7 on my AOA150, and had a few KP's, which puts a dampner on the overall experience.

Using Netbook Installer 0.8.3 and SL retail on my D250 (Win 7 + Android model) gave a rock solid install, and It's never KP'd since installing about 5 months ago, although I had to swap out the wireless card, and the wired ethernet, web cam and internal mic still don't work.

Just in the process of buying a Dell 10v mini for the ultimate hackintosh netbook experience, and the D250 will be back to Win 7 Pro.

winterbrew, Apr 9, 2010
  16. lavrishevo

lavrishevo

I had a friend who purchased one (Dell mini 10v) and I was going to setup his as a dual boot so he can learn OS X but when he got it in and hooked it up to a projector it would only output 1024 x 600, which is totally unacceptable in my line of work as the minimum resolution we can use is 1024 x 768. Might want to look into this if this is important to you.

I can not testify this first hand but this was his experience. He ended up giving it to his wife for Christmas... :lol:

It seems weird because the A0A will output 1024 x 768 with no problem.

lavrishevo, Apr 9, 2010
  17. lavrishevo

winterbrew

Many thanks for the info regarding the projector - I'm not going to use it with one, so should be fine.

Strange as they both use the same graphics chipset :)

winterbrew, Apr 9, 2010
  18. lavrishevo

iibosshog

I almost did it. I didi a dirty reistall through Empire EFI and SL DVD. Everything was alright until i decided to try to update again to 10.6.3, using a patched kernel. When i rebooted on -v mode it said the HD was read only and it didn't find the root device. Then i discovered that a new IOATAFamily.kext 10.6.3 is needed, but now i guess it's too late :cry: . Is there a way to access to the system (e.g. SL DVD or boot disk- i don't a have usb restore stick or something) and correct the issue without reinstalling for a freakin second time?

iibosshog, Apr 9, 2010
Ask a Question