Netbook Remix (img) with hopeless wifi

Discussion in 'Linux' started by no7fish, Dec 31, 2008.

1. no7fish

no7fish

OK, I'm new to linux like everyone else here but I can pound through some terminal entries pretty well. I have followed the how-to on installing the Netbook Remix img from USB with some hassle but eventually got it in. Now I'm having wireless issues. Obviously it doesn't work out of the box so i went on to trying to install the madwifi stuff.

First I followed the how to right down to the letter and came up with random errors and things. Tinkered with precise wording, etc, eventually saw the folder only contained a README that said it was obsolete!

Next I found another how-to, followed it precisely to a different madwifi driver and had no issues right down to finding the same README. This is stupid, every time I follow the driver instructions posted in various places I end up with this note telling me it's OBSOLETE and I need to go to the Madwifi site, but I can' navigate that site at all, it's all circular it seems and I don't see anything that's specifically applicable to my wifi hardware except for something that says it doesn't work!!

Can someone PLEASE post a simple how-to of making the wireless work on this thing? I mean I can follow instructions but I can't find any instructions that don't lead to an obsolete file. I don't care if it's obsolete if it will make my wifi work...

no7fish, Dec 31, 2008
  2. no7fish

diverbelow

I ran into the same issue about the wireless, but I rebooted after I made some tweaks, and my wireless started working. These tweaks was from the AcerAspireOne Ubuntu page.

NOTE: I did not install ath5k as my connection speeds sucked (max speed was 18Mbps even in the same room with my router). I left the default wireless driver and I was getting 54Mbps (not in the same room with my router).

diverbelow, Dec 31, 2008
  3. no7fish

no7fish

I have tried various tweaks but never got one to complete because I always ended up with a supposedly obsolete file. Anyway, I gave up with the madwifi and decided to install sickboy's kernel, absolutely everything seems to work now, I'm very pleased.

The only problem now seems to be attaching to a secured network. It is WEP and I can't seem to find the right option that will make it connect. I can connect to an open wifi connection but one with a passphrase doesn't want to work. My GF's windows machine says it's a WEP open connection but doesn't show 128, 64, hex, etc. I'm not familiar with how to set up a connection with all these options. Help??

Oh, and the owner of the house is away for another week, or I would just ask her how it's setup...

no7fish, Jan 2, 2009
  4. no7fish

no7fish

OK, so I'm happy because everything seems to work with the new kernel, and I even found that a WEP 64/128 hex using shared key does connect to the network I wanted. That was yesterday....

Now I fire up the machine and I can't connect to the same network this morning. I changed the wireless to manual config to see if I could set up that same network, no luck so I switched it back to auto mode. Now I can't see ANY networks and i know there are 3 within range. Wifi is enabled, networking is enabled... what do I do now???

no7fish, Jan 3, 2009
  5. no7fish

no7fish

Nevermind, problem solved. Somehow my wireless radio got switched off. It was as simple as flicking the switch on the front of the machine. For some reason I tried this earlier with no luck but I tried it again and waited, after a minute or 2 it kicked in and all is fine.

So, with all that solved, I'm kinda liking Ubuntu but it doesn't seem to multi-task very well ( I realize this is a netbook but still) and although the internet seems a bit more snappy, the rest of the machine seems marginally slower than Linpus. I think if i go to another distro I'll try Xubuntu...

no7fish, Jan 3, 2009
Ask a Question