Network boot

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by Gosefroba, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Gosefroba

Gosefroba

I have never used the network boot but is there a way that u could possibly emulate a disk like the air from another computer so that u do not need an external disc drive?

Gosefroba, Dec 26, 2008
  2. Gosefroba

DogEater008

I looked into that before, but it seem wayy to complicated and i was somewhat busy to figure things out. =P. A good alternative and easy to use is to try Acronis Snap Deploy. It comes with Acronis PXE server, so you can actually boot up their program through network and uses the network to backup and restore your data. =P But then again, you would have to suffer through the hard usb installing and make a backup image =P.

DogEater008, Feb 10, 2009
  3. Gosefroba

nmesisca

you need to create a PXE boot. Best thing you can do is to read about PXE on the web, last time I have done that was probably 5 years ago.
    you will need a 3rd party tool that intercepts the client machine that wants to boot from the network.
    (for example, Symantec Ghost has an embedded PXE client/server that allows client machines to boot and connect to the reference server and boot/image from there).

nmesisca, Feb 10, 2009
  4. Gosefroba

robo

Honestly, i think it makes the most sense to bit the bullet and shell out $20 for one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817186103

Just slap any old PATA DVD drive in it, and you're set. It will be handy later on too, since your AAO has no optical drive.

robo, Feb 10, 2009
Ask a Question