Network Connection Problems?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by debby_square, Oct 5, 2008.

1. debby_square

debby_square

Hi, I've just bought an Acer Aspire One with Linux, and am currently using it on an ethernet connection, which is allowing me to surf the net and download fine. However I'm having some problems with it which could be hardware or software problems or, due to my lack of capability with Linux as an operating platform. There are several things which are possibly related:
    -Firstly I can't sign in to the messenger program that comes installed - I'm sure I'm using the correct details and I'm only trying to sign in with web messenger and yahoo accounts, nothing obscure, but whenever I try I can't connect and get information boxes telling me that either there is no response from yahoo etc, or that there may be a network problem.
    -Secondly I've tried dowloading programmes (namely Skype and aMSN), in I think the correct version, but while they've openned in the install manager they've failed to retrieve software information, and aborted, saying mostly that there may be network connection problems.
    I would think that this is a problem with the network card but I can surf the net fine, so I don't really understand what the problem is, and, as I'm so unfamiliar with the operating system I have trouble diagnosing it or knowing how to sort it out from there. Any help would be appreciated!

debby_square, Oct 5, 2008
  2. debby_square

mailman1175

So, had any luck with Yahoo IM yet? I'm running into the same problems... searched the forum... no luck yet!

mailman1175, Oct 16, 2008
  3. debby_square

fulgentius

The first thing I would check is that your network doesn't have certain ports blocked. If you aren't the one who set up the network, you should ask whoever did.

fulgentius, Oct 16, 2008
  4. debby_square

mailman1175

I'm getting out of my ability there, I'm afraid. I'm not using my desktop as a server -- or I didn't intend to be. I thought I was accessing the modem through the wifi router directly... Can I check port accessibility through Linpus? I'm a total Linux n00b.

I tried Acer online support. They directed me to phone support. Phone support transferred me to a disconnected line, then I wasn't able to get back on the phone with them, even though -- according to the email I got from online support -- they were still open for business. If I have to install Mandriva's 2009 PowerPack to get this thing working correctly, I will. I don't want to have to fiddle with a machine that comes pre-installed with certain software; I just want it to work.

mailman1175, Oct 17, 2008
Ask a Question