Network Manager 180048

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ABSDoug, Apr 24, 2009.

1. ABSDoug

ABSDoug

Network Manager 180048 -- when I try to install, I get an "I/O error".

ABSDoug, Apr 24, 2009
  2. ABSDoug

kpmwrestler

Yep I get that too. I have version 1.0.3E. I upgraded to 1.0.15, which fixed the problem but then I had standby issues (so now I'm back to 1.0.3E which came on the recovery DVD) so obviously it's a version-specific issue.
    I looked a little deeper into what might be causing the network manager update problem and here's what I found.

In /var/cache/online-updater, an update script and an xml file with the same name are stored temporarily before update.
    In this case, the two sets of files are:
    NM_option0025v3.sh and NM_option0025v3.sh.xml
    and the second script, which I have determined is causing the problem is:
    NM_option0025v2.sh, but the xml is named NM_option0025v2.sh\ .xml
    That (space)(backslash) shouldn't be there between ".sh" and ".xml" so when it is looking for that xml file, it can't find it, which I believe is causing that I/O error.
    So obviously when it downloads the update from the server, the name gets malformed because if you look on the update server ( http://cdn.040services.net/linpus/ACER/AspireOne/v1.0.3/) the xml file is named correctly.

So here is what I've tried to fix the problem (none of them successful)

1. rename the xml file to the way it should be.
    it didn't work because it just downloads the bad one again and fails...again.

2. rename the xml to the way it should be, then make a link named NM_option0025v2.sh\ .xml linking back to the correctly named file.

3. chmod 755 NM_option0025v3.sh then ./NM_option0025v3.sh
    Then I did the same with NM_option0025v2.sh
    they both said they successfully completed, but in update manager still has one network manager update (opposed to the two earlier) and when I run live update it still fails, but only NM_option0025v2.sh appears in /var/cache/online-updater. NM_option0025v3.sh doesn't appear anymore.

Anybody have any ideas how to fix this?

kpmwrestler, Apr 26, 2009
  3. ABSDoug

kpmwrestler

Alright, a little more work and I figured it out.

If you run the updater through sudo onlineupdate, you see all the error messages and the last message before the I/O error was something like "error reading xml files"
    This was strange because I just renamed the XML file to the correct name, but when I looked in /var/cache/online-updater, it was gone. So the updater clears the cache every time you run it.

So here's what you have to do to fix the problem:

make a shell script named something like updatefix.sh with the following lines:

#!/bin/sh
    mv "/var/cache/online-updater/NM_option0025v2.sh\ .xml" "/var/cache/online-updater/NM_option0025v2.sh.xml"

Then once you have saved the file, type: chmod 755 updatefix.sh

Then start live update and begin the update of the network manager.
    Then wait for it to finish "Downloading files" and the second it says "installing updates" quickly type ./updatefix.sh

This time when the update finishes you shouldn't have the I/O error.

kpmwrestler, Apr 26, 2009
  4. ABSDoug

ABSDoug

I'm still new to Linux. "chmod 755 updatefix.sh" yields no such file. I tried renaming the file after it downloaded, it worked, I got reboot option, but the update is still available.

ABSDoug, Apr 30, 2009
  5. ABSDoug

kpmwrestler

That's true, it installed correctly for me too, but it's still there in the updater.
    It's alright though, your update DID successfully install, but it's not reading the XML file on the server correctly, so it doesn't THINK that it is installed, but it really is.

kpmwrestler, May 1, 2009
  6. ABSDoug

TTgowings

My live update just keeps erroring out with "Update list download failed, Do you want to retry?" so I've read about opening and editing "/var/cache/online-updater" but when I try to do that I get the error "could not open folder, The nautilus file manager is not running".

So what or where do I go from here ? Any suggestions or ideas would be greatfully appreciated. TIA

TTgowings, May 2, 2009
  7. ABSDoug

kpmwrestler

Could you go to "Settings" and then click "System" and see what your operating system version is?

kpmwrestler, May 7, 2009
  8. ABSDoug

TheTilde

Hi
    I think that in your script you shouldn't add "\" in the file name, because there is a quote (") at the beginning and at the end of the file.
    Anyway, it's such disappointing that this issue hasn't been resolved by acer, it's now days since this bug started! Does acer care any more?

BTW, I still love my A110

TheTilde, May 7, 2009
Ask a Question