Network Manager sometime start after a reboot

Discussion in 'Linux' started by madwoolything, Sep 26, 2008.

1. madwoolything

madwoolything

I Hope you can help.
    Given the number of posts with 'Network Manager' in the title I'm sure I'm not the only one with issues ...... however I've been search the forum in vain to a solution to my problem for a couple of weeks.

Network Manager frequently does not start following a reboot (and the battery icon also fails to appear). If I reboot enough times, eventually I have wireless and a battery icon.
    I've tried several of the suggested posts trying to start NM from the terminal and even powering on/off the hardware switch but once NM fails to start, I've been unable to find any way of getting wireless other than keep on rebooting ... which is a little frustrating.

Other than enabling compiz and installing Skype I've done very little to the base install.
    Suggestions gratefully received ....

madwoolything, Sep 26, 2008
  2. madwoolything

kevin

Are you sure it doesn't start if you wait long enough?

It's important to understand that Linpus achieves it's rapid start-up times partly by sleight-of-hand. When the desktop appears, the networking subsystem has not yet initialialized. The NetworkManager icon won't appear until the networking subsystem is basically functional, and my guess would be that something is holding it up on your system.

Perhaps do a ps -ef whilst waiting for NW to start, and post the results. We might be able to figure out what's holding things up. For the record, NM starts pretty reliably on my AAO _except_ when there is some underlying wireless scanning problem. I got cross with it yesterday because it wouldn't start, and then I discovered that my wifi access point had crashed. As soon as I fixed that, it started up just fine.

kevin, Sep 26, 2008
  3. madwoolything

ivor

kevin,
    fyi this can happen once people move from the acer desktop, it's very easy for the boot order to run badly (hence I think the reason acer scattered sleeps through the scripts).
    I think I've got the order fixed now in mine and it all runs reliably. This weekend I'll compare my install to a clean linpus and document the diffs.

madwoolything,
    you can probably nurse it back into life with a combination of:
    sudo /etc/init.d/haldaemon restart
    sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager restart
    sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManagerDispatcher restart

to avoid rebooting.

ivor, Sep 26, 2008
  4. madwoolything

kevin

Well, Acer has done some pretty funky things with the startup process. I suspect there are some twitchy timing dependencies. FWIW I use the standard XFCE, and it works OK. But that may be more luck that anything else. There is a very good reason why `normal' Linux distrubtions start the X server, etc., at the end of the boot process, rather than at the beginning.

kevin, Sep 27, 2008
  5. madwoolything

madwoolything

Many thanks for the tip ...... unfortunately this did not work. All the commands executed fine in the terminal but still no wireless without having to reboot. Any other thoughts/options I could try?

Cheers

madwoolything, Sep 28, 2008
  6. madwoolything

radu

Oh, so I am not the only one it happened to :D
    That's why I gave up Linpus, because the WiFi stopped working. For me it happened after a restart when the battery got so low that it turn itself off. I thought maybe it was some disk corruption or something, but if it happens to other people I guess it's more than just bad luck.

radu, Sep 28, 2008
  7. madwoolything

kevin

Maybe I've just been lucky. Or perhaps it's just having the latest patches? Dunno really -- my wifi cuts out when the battery level gets down to about 17%, but it reconnects within seconds as soon as I get the charger connected. As I said, I _have_ had problems with NetworkManager that, in the end, turned out to be due to network infrastructure. NM isn't very good at reporting what's going on, I think.

kevin, Sep 28, 2008
  8. madwoolything

Guest Guest

I want to get the network starting quickly as well. Looking forward to the difference.

Guest, Sep 29, 2008
Ask a Question