Network Manager stopped working after VPN install

Discussion in 'Networking' started by andrewhague, Apr 29, 2009.

1. andrewhague

andrewhague

This evening I tried to set up my Linux Acer Aspire One to connect to my company's VPN network. I didn't appear to do it automatically so reading around I discovered I needed to install PPTP (for our Microsoft vpn). So looking at the add/remove software list I saw some NetworkManager plug-ins for VPN and PPTP, etc. I ticked on these and applied.

After this; my NetworkManager won't start. All I get now is:
    I've hunted around for libnssutil3.so but I cannot find it on my system (using 'find / -name *nss*' )

Just so you know what I've installed; here are the last few lines from my 'yum.log'.

I should point out the repos I have are "livna", "fusionrpm", "kwizart", "fedora-updates", "fedora" and "fedora-development"

It is likely I'll have to get the Recovery DVD onto a USB key and then use that to restore my system but I thought if there was an easier way then I'd ask. Say; taking the RPMS necessary to restore the old NetworkManager.

Thanks for any help.

andrewhague, Apr 29, 2009
  2. andrewhague

andrewhague

I managed to upgrade my 'nss' package from "nss-3.11.7-10.fc8" to "nss-3.12.2.0-1.1.fc8". It needed nspr-4.7.3-1.fc8 too.

I simply grabbed the RPMs from rpmfind.net and copied them to a USB stick and then installed from the USB.
    Code:
    rpm -Uvh nspr-4.7.3-1.fc8* nss-3.12.2.0-1.1.fc8*
    Panic over.

I wonder why it missed this dependency when it update NetworkManager ?

It also lists VPN as an option now too so now I can continue where I left off.

andrewhague, Apr 29, 2009
  3. andrewhague

galorin

Still in the troubleshooting stage, but I did the same as you to get my vpn in to work on my A110L. Now, it does not retain passwords for wireless connections. Did you notice something similar?

galorin, May 8, 2009
  4. andrewhague

andrewhague

It did stop remembering passwords. I think I fixed it by fixing the call to nm-applet. See my blog.

There are a couple of tips regarding removing a "system/networking" subfolder which I did and this seemed to fix that. That problem has gone away. I have a networkmanager that has the VPN option but it won't let me connect to my work VPN.

I've been looking for solutions for the past month but without any success. I can access via Vista and XP (on two different machines) but not via Linpus Lite and the 'svn4326.fc8.i386' network manager rpms.

I have VirtualBox install on Linpus Lite along with XP inside that. I tried VPN access from XP within VirtualBox and it didn't work either. Could there be something blocking the VPN out of my Acer Aspire One?

andrewhague, May 22, 2009
  5. andrewhague

ashpire

For me, installing the OpenVPN which Acer provides on their webpage did that NetworkManager stopped working. If I started "nm-applet" manually, it worked fine but it didn't remember the wlan-password. I uninstalled OpenVPN and after that NetworkManager worked fine again.

ashpire, May 24, 2009
Ask a Question