network with windows pc

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Poldie, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Poldie

Poldie

I'm connecting to the internet wirelessly, via a wireless router which is wired into my windows vista pc. I'm hoping therefore to access files on that pc from my aspire one. I was assuming I'd set up some sort of home network using samba, which I've heard a little about, so I tried to follow the instructions here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba

But what is displayed in the `network settings` window (accessible from Systems/Administration/Network) seems a bit different from what's in the screenshot on that page. I have no way of clicking add, for instance. I've installed smbfs and rebooted but it's made no difference.

Has anyone done this? Can I do this? Thanks for any help.

Poldie, Oct 11, 2008
  2. Poldie

N6546R

You should be able to open up Nautilus (the file manager) and go to the URL smb://host/sharename

The host is your Windows PC, and the sharename is the share you set up in windows. On one of my boxes (dutch), for example, the D drive is shared, so it's smb://dutch/D

If the host IP isn't resolved correctly, add the IP to /etc/hosts on the Ubuntu box, or just use the IP in the URL: smb://192.168.1.2/D

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Oct 11, 2008
  3. Poldie

Poldie

Thanks - I can see my PC. I can't do anything, so I guess I have to play around in Windows a little now so there's something to be seen from my Aspire. Thanks for your help (so far - I might be back but I'll have a good google to avoid asking too many `total beginner` questions!)

Poldie, Oct 11, 2008
  4. Poldie

fuzz

In windows, right click on a folder and go to 'Sharing and Security', that will give you the option of sharing that folder via Samba (also called CIFS).

fuzz, Oct 13, 2008
  5. Poldie

Poldie

Thanks but I got it working. Only thing is, I have to know what I've shared, and type it directly. Ie, in windows, I might be sharing:

d:\music

so in Linux I have to type:

smb://pipco/music

(where pipco is the pc name. forgot now if i'm using 1 or 2 slashes before pipco actually).

But what I'd like is to just see a tree of folders so I can just type:

smb://pipco

and from then on navigate using the regular linux file manager. Last night I was trying to see my documents folder but I couldn't remember if it was docs or documents etc and someone was using the pc so it was inconvenient to go and check.

Poldie, Oct 13, 2008
Ask a Question