Networking with Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sillybgoat, Jul 16, 2009.

1. sillybgoat

sillybgoat

Hi Guys,
    I have a D250 which came with winxp, I have the Ubuntu Netbook Remix running off a flash drive at the moment. I am trying to get synergy running, and have installed it via the synaptic package manager, which lists its location as "Networking".

Now my understanding is that there is normally a -System-Administration-Networking menu, but it is missing on this install. Am I looking in the wrong place? I cant bring up either Synergy, or more importantly change the netbooks name so I can get synergy to connect.

Thanks

sillybgoat, Jul 16, 2009
  2. sillybgoat

sillybgoat

I have worked out how to change the system name with GEdit. But still interested in the missing menu's

sillybgoat, Jul 16, 2009
  3. sillybgoat

libssd

Have you read the "SynergyHowTo" guide at: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynergyHowto

After test installs of most of the Ubuntu variants (K, X, and NBR), I eventually settled on straight 9.04 desktop. It takes up a little more disk space than the others, but everything works (on a D150), and it doesn't seem to be noticeably slower than any of the others. (I did turn off visual effects, which yielded some speed increase).

libssd, Jul 16, 2009
  4. sillybgoat

sillybgoat

Yes I did, and I got it to run. Doesn't say anything about the missing menu items though.

What did you find wasnt working on the NBR version? So far it seems really good (though since I only want to run it from the flash drive at the moment, having to click that I want to test it each time I boot is a pain).

sillybgoat, Jul 16, 2009
  5. sillybgoat

libssd

I didn't say that anything wasn't working with NBR. I just didn't like the UI, and was more comfortable with desktop Ubuntu, which immediately seemed intuitive to me. These are prefs are very personal, and what is one person's poison may be another's parfait.

libssd, Jul 16, 2009
Ask a Question