New AAO XP owner, want to install+dual boot Linpus

Discussion in 'Linux' started by osaka, Nov 1, 2008.

1. osaka

osaka

Hello to everyone, this is my first post here.

I recently purchased the 120GB windows xp version of the Aspire one. I am interested in installing the Aspire one ready version of Linpus Lite mainly for the start up speed but also for running quicker, linux versions of programs like Nero (Nero on the AAO windows version is slowww!). I've located the Acer Linpus recovery disc on a torrent site, downloaded and burned it already.

My previous experience with Linux is with Ubuntu. I installed it on my Aspire 3004 laptop. The whole Ubuntu process of creating a dual boot system on my windows pc was extremely straight forward and easy. I was going to go the Ubuntu route, but am leaning towards linpus since it is THE Aspire system and that means no hardware issues.

I'm worried about attempting it with the Acer Linpus recovery disk since my Acer DIDN'T come with windows recovery discs (!!!!) and need to keep windows on it.

Is it possible to, with the acer/linpus disc, to create a dual boot system? Is GRUB on there?

Is there anything I should know or understand before attempting it.

Thanks in advanced

osaka, Nov 1, 2008
  2. osaka

scottro

There's a thread on here about installing it to a USB stick. That's probably the best way to try it.
    If you've used Ubuntu, you'll find Linpus to be quite frustrating. It's a very limited version of Linux, and I would recommend dual booting with Ubuntu, despite the longer startup speed.

Intrepid will now support the wireless card (though not the LED--not Intrepid's fault, it's a 2.6.27 kernel thing) although not out of the box. (See the release notes about the ath5k module).

The startup speed is probably the only thing to recommend Linpus.

scottro, Nov 1, 2008
  3. osaka

-BK-

There is a thread/how to by Mercado79 is this forum!
    This one works fine... :ugeek:

-BK-, Nov 1, 2008
  4. osaka

osaka

Thanks scottro and BK

Thanks for your replies. Though I'd like to have the linpus on the Acer since it is fully supported, easy on the eyes and quick, I'm leaning more towards Ubuntu or possibly Kubuntu. I'll search the info you've both provided. Thanks.

osaka, Nov 2, 2008
  5. osaka

hagisbasheruk

Fedora 10 final release will be out on the 25th of this month,Linpus is just a cut down version of Fedora.
    I am running the LiveUSB Beta of Fedora 10 right now and have XP, did a HDD install via the LiveUSB system.
    Only thing not working is WiFi leds but i guess that will get fixed.System has been very stable :) i guess at some point Linpus will update their OS

hagisbasheruk, Nov 2, 2008
  6. osaka

Infected24

Install Ubuntu Netbook Remix or a normal distro. Trust me, it's so much better than install Linpus.

Infected24, Nov 3, 2008
  7. osaka

farslayer

I would install something other than Linpus as well. In my case I chose Debian. Here are some links to how-to's for various Linux Distros on the Acer Aspire One.
    Linpus seemed to limiting to me.. could just be my preference for Debian though.

http://www.thev.net/cgi-bin/awki.cgi/_Acer_Aspire_One_?stamp=1222950371 < - slackware 12.1
    http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcerOne
    http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Aspire_One
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

I used the SystemRescueCD which contains a program called gparted to shrink the Windows partition to a suitably small size so I could then install Debian as my primary OS. This little machine actually performs very well with Debian, even with gnome as the desktop. Although I did install the LXDE Desktop as well, for a lightweight alternative.

farslayer, Nov 3, 2008
Ask a Question