New Aspire One - Questions & Issues?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by lightsped, Aug 25, 2008.

1. lightsped

lightsped

Just picked up my Aspire One today (XP w/ 120GB harddrive). I've noticed a couple odd things and wanted to get more details from all of the knowledgeable folks on this forum.

1. This netbooks seems to be very warm to the touch. Is this normal? It is particularly noticeable around the palm rest area...both left and right sides.

2. What temperature should it be running at? I installed the Notebook Hardware Control app (got the link from another thread on this forum), and it shows a CPU and HD temp around 50 degrees Celsius. Is that normal?

3. The Fan Control App shows a different temperature... What is an accurate app to get the temperature?

4. Without the Fan Control App, the fan is always on at full blast. Is that normal?

5. The CPU always seems to be running at the full 1.6Ghz (based on the standard XP System Properties screen). Is this normal? It even shows 1.6Ghz when I use the Notebook Control App to set it at a lower processor speed.

6. My wireless seems to stop working sporadically. However, it always shows that it is connected. This is noticeable when web browsing as it will all of a sudden stop working. I just updated to the latest Atheros XP driver...need time to see if this will fix it. Any other ideas? Anyone else experiencing this?

Overall, the Aspire One is pretty slick. Great for on the go light web browsing, email, etc. I thought it would be good enough to use as a full-time home computer (I have low at home computer needs), but the small screen may get annoying. Regardless....it's a very cool new gadget!

lightsped, Aug 25, 2008
  2. lightsped

atarione

1. This netbooks seems to be very warm to the touch. Is this normal? It is particularly noticeable around the palm rest area...both left and right sides.

YEAH..mine gets pretty darn warm also..

2. What temperature should it be running at? I installed the Notebook Hardware Control app (got the link from another thread on this forum), and it shows a CPU and HD temp around 50 degrees Celsius. Is that normal?

should be fine... read this (desktop set up but load at 53c)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Int ... 981-9.html

3. The Fan Control App shows a different temperature... What is an accurate app to get the temperature?

Don't know??

4. Without the Fan Control App, the fan is always on at full blast. Is that normal?

Don't know??

5. The CPU always seems to be running at the full 1.6Ghz (based on the standard XP System Properties screen). Is this normal? It even shows 1.6Ghz when I use the Notebook Control App to set it at a lower processor speed.

the Atom doesn't have the power management stuff that a lot of desktop CPUs do (Cool n' quiet and ???? whatever the h#ll intel calls theirs...meh...) as it only draws 4watts and its clock ratio is a low as it can be.

6. My wireless seems to stop working sporadically. However, it always shows that it is connected. This is noticeable when web browsing as it will all of a sudden stop working. I just updated to the latest Atheros XP driver...need time to see if this will fix it. Any other ideas? Anyone else experiencing this?

I have the linux version... so can't say ... however occasionally when resuming from suspend i have to flip the RF switch to get the d@mned wifi to work again.... it is annoying.

atarione, Aug 25, 2008
Ask a Question