New liveupdate 16/10/2008

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ivor, Oct 16, 2008.

1. ivor

ivor

There's a new batch of linpus liveupdates available today.

Haven't analysed them in detail yet but the update includes a keyboard update, kernel update, various locale updates and a printer settings update.
    updates for touchpad, network manager, an "update remover" whatever that is, updates for kpowersave, timer, sysinfo and the system bootscripts.
    edit - also includes a messenger update.

I'd suggest if you have anything remotely tweaked on your aspire this update is likely to zap it. Looks like an update to apply to a clean linpus build to me. :!:
    sigh, just in case noone reads that bit.

ivor, Oct 16, 2008
  2. ivor

ivor

ooh what's really interesting is that they've just added the update huawei.sh to the end of the update list too.

Aspires coming with GSM modules in them perhaps?

ivor, Oct 16, 2008
  3. ivor

daldred

I ran the live update last night - didn't seem to break anything. I've got quite a few additional things installed, have changed around the standard desktop arrangements, and done a few other bits many of which I can't now remember: perhaps not heavily tweaked but certainly tweaked!

I may be wrong, but it seemed to me that the replacement wireless driver made power use of the wireless card more efficient - as measured by kPowersave's measure of current power use with the machine otherwise idle, turning wireless on seemed to have far less impact on power consumption.

daldred, Oct 16, 2008
  4. ivor

JoaoMachado

I had Linpus Lite working perfectly in advanced mode with a nice clean XFCE desktop, ran an update for the huawei 3G, what ever that is, now the wireless is broken! Damn!!!!

Joao

JoaoMachado, Oct 16, 2008
  5. ivor

Harani

same here :-(
    live update just stuffed my wireless setup and now network manager won't respond and wireless assistant throws up an "unknown error"

Harani, Oct 16, 2008
  6. ivor

Harani

update:

I ran it up with a hardwired network connection and the network manager came back both for wired and wireless :shock: :?: go figure

Harani, Oct 16, 2008
  7. ivor

JoaoMachado

That worked for me as welll... wacky!!!!

JoaoMachado, Oct 17, 2008
  8. ivor

Ace_Rimmer

Just did the update via wireless and no problems with networking here. Running 8GB Linpus with xfce desktop. The 3G update was on the list but not checked; I did not check it and therefore it was not installed.

:geek:

Ace_Rimmer, Oct 17, 2008
  9. ivor

JLa

I've installed huawei pacth and found mobile partner icon under connect menu. Dunno if it was there earlier (could swear it hasn't).
    Now I can connect mobile without using Vodafone's connect card driver. Sweet!

Edit; Wireless working fine, even it doesnt show wifi on/off pic on screen...

JLa, Oct 17, 2008
  10. ivor

jhedrotten

hmm... i wonder which one's the most useful with these updates..

jhedrotten, Oct 17, 2008
  11. ivor

anz

I ve also installed the huawei update - after that gnome-ppp and pppd cannot find the modem any more
    Here the gnome-ppp output:
    But dmesg gets it:
    In networkmanager the icon for the huawei modem appears, but I cannot do anything (no connection) with it.
    gnome-ppp and pppd worked before updating.
    I can not remove the huawei patch ...
    ... seems to restore the system ...
    (i use linpus v 1.03, network manager 0.7.0-lp.0025.o.4 and use a huawei E160)

--- UPDATE ---

the device is now at
    /dev/HuaweiMobile-0
    and
    /dev/HuaweiMobile-1
    instead of /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB01

This is caused by a new udev rule defined in the file
    /etc/udev/rules.d/10-Huawei-Datacard.rules

anz, Oct 17, 2008
  12. ivor

Phil_Urich

Does the updated NetworkManager finally have WPA-Enterprise? Or do I have to shun it and stick with my hacked-in-random-rpms-from-SVN NetworkManager setup if I want to keep having wireless on my University campus?

Phil_Urich, Oct 18, 2008
  13. ivor

TTgowings

How do I get ride of the live update icon in the bottom right tool bar ? I've installed all but the Huawei update, as I don't have or need a 3G card. When I right click the icon I have 2 options show updates and show notifications. (both of which are unchecked) So is this thing gonna sit there until I update something I don't need or until their next update ?

TTgowings, Oct 19, 2008
  14. ivor

p203557

Probably a stupid question but I have very very little knowledge of linux. I'm installing the latest live update for the huwei 3G. I've previously been put off buying a '3' mobile broadband modem as to get it working seemed far too complicated for me from what I've read. Will this live update mean it will now work out of the box as it would on XP? If so I'll be more inclined to invest in one.

Thanks,

Richard

p203557, Oct 19, 2008
  15. ivor

drewb

The latest update installed a new programme called Mobile Partner and installed an icon for it in the Connect section of the default AAO desktop.

Should now work straight away out of the box. Just plug in your 3G stick, click on Mobile Partner and it should detect it. You need to create a new profile first time you use it. I just created a new one, called it t-mobile and didnt make any other changes and it connected first time. Looks like it gets any other settings it needs from the sim card?

drewb, Oct 19, 2008
  16. ivor

kapinouwi

hello, the huawei live update is in grey it's impossible for me to select them! :( any solution for me????

yessssss i find the solution! it's due to the macles tip to change critical/optional the liveupdate! :)

kapinouwi, Oct 20, 2008
  17. ivor

tancred

great that you found a solution to huawei 3g update being greyed out.... I too have the macles tip re making updates optional.... can you help me by explaining what you did exactly to get around the greyed ou update option?

I have had big troubles with both the vmc route and the gnome-ppp route to get my huawei 160g on three.co.uk to work and i hope the huawei update will fix them! Thanks

tancred, Oct 20, 2008
  18. ivor

kapinouwi

the macles tip
    sudo sed -i.bak s:Critical:Optional: /usr/bin/onlineupdate

and for undo

sudo sed -i.bak s:Optional:Critical: /usr/bin/onlineupdate

easy! :)

but i dont understand how to configure the "mobile partner"! :(

kapinouwi, Oct 20, 2008
  19. ivor

hiker_jon

Hi,
    Logically your command may not get back to the original (if there were optional entries in the original).
    But the Maples script created a backup file: onlineupdate.bak. Better to do this:
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/bin/onlineupdate /usr/bin/onlineupdate.macles
    sudo cp /usr/bin/onlineupdate.bak  /usr/bin/onlineupdate

hiker_jon, Oct 21, 2008
  20. ivor

kapinouwi

maybe but it work for me! lucky boy i am :twisted:

huuuu not totaly lucky when i click on the connect button, mob partner, search and never connect... damned

kapinouwi, Oct 21, 2008
Ask a Question