New liveupdate 24/10/2008

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ivor, Oct 26, 2008.

1. ivor

ivor

Another liveupdate. Looks like an update for the huwai software.
    also a datetime patch.

ivor, Oct 26, 2008
  2. ivor

TLJ

It's taking a VERY long time to download........!

TLJ, Oct 27, 2008
  3. ivor

CHDesign

It took at least 40 minutes when I downloaded the Mobile Partner. Then it didn't work the same as the previous version. Just got it to work just now by booting up with my E220 already plugged in. Worked this time but who knows if it works the next time. I am rapidly finding that nothing is consistant with Linux, or maybe it's just the Linpus variant.

Chris.

CHDesign, Oct 27, 2008
  4. ivor

Phil_Urich

Trust me, it's Linpus. If you were running something like Debian things would be quite different, even the relatively volatile Kubuntu is rock-solid and predictable on my main machine and my 13" laptop...in fact, I installed the beta of the new version of it on my older machine and it's been more consistent than Linpus, haha.

I've been sticking with Linpus since this "Lite" version has been really stripped down to boot so wonderfully fast, and I know enough of Linux to tweak most things to work (and this forum is excellent for the rest), but it does make me kindof sad that Acer chose such a wonky distro for their AA1, since I imagine it might be turning some people off of Linux.

Rest assured, there are distros out there that have less in common with Linpus than Windows 2000 has with Vista :lol:

Edit: Uhh, however, as I've been tending to ask whenever these updates roll around, have they yet enabled WPA & WPA2 Enterprise? Or is Personal the only option for WPA/WPA2 still? I've been running a from-fedora's-svn version of NetworkManager instead of the Acer version for awhile now since I need WPA2-Enterprise for my Uni's wireless, but I've been hoping I could stop uncheckmarking those live updates, heh (plus this one is weird since I have to run gnome-keyring-daemon manually whenever I start up the machine, and then I have to run nm-applet manually every time it wakes up from hibernation thereafter).

Phil_Urich, Oct 27, 2008
  5. ivor

TLJ

I finally managed to check the new update out (I can't pick up t-mobile at home !!) and it's working perfectly. No more pissing about entering
    Code:
    sudo vodafone-connect-mobile-card-driver-for-linux 
    each and every time I'm on the move - only to discover after I've pressed Enter that I;ve made a typo :lol:

TLJ, Oct 29, 2008
Ask a Question