New models in Japan

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by rjm, Nov 4, 2008.

1. rjm

rjm

The "fall-winter" models are now out.

We now have blue, white and black, 160GB windows XP.

The "Summer" models were blue and white, 120GB windows XP.

The initial price is the same, 54,800 yen, but since the Summer models were being discounted retailers used this as an excuse to jack the price back up by 5,000 yen... for nothing more than 40 Gb. All the models are 3 cell, the 6 cell battery is sold separately. No linux.

No pink, which is odd because I figured that would go down well here. And no 3G model yet, which is even odder, since they are making a big effort to sell them bundled with a data plan with external USB 3G modems.

rjm, Nov 4, 2008
  2. rjm

GlenMH

Yup - you have summed up why I have just bought one back to Tokyo from the UK.

Once I got a bit of a rebate for the VAT charged in the UK, it came in at Y26,500 for the 8gig linpus model.

Electronics in Japan are sooo expensive!

Glen

GlenMH, Nov 9, 2008
  3. rjm

rjm

Often expressed sentiment. Not quite true.

Ex1. Nikon D60 lens kit

Amazon.com US $567
    Bic Camera JPY 64,400 (but with 10304 yen back as in-store credit)
    Lowest Online JPY 48,363

Ex2. Intel Q8200 CPU

Newegg US $189.99
    PC-koubou JPY 21,480
    lowest online JPY 20,679

I picked those out of thin air, but it fits with my experience: camera stuff is a little cheaper here in Japan, computer stuff is generally about on par or fractionally more expensive depending on how the exchange rate is sitting.

rjm, Nov 10, 2008
  4. rjm

the100thmonkey

I found that I was significantly better off in Japan than I have ever been in the UK.

Even if electronics are more expensive, I generally had 2-3x the disposable income there than I do here. :)

the100thmonkey, Nov 10, 2008
  5. rjm

GlenMH

Ah - I haven't gone camera shopping yet!

But: Pioneer 50 inch plasma is over 300 GBP more expensive here than in the UK..... It is actually cheaper to buy the TV in the UK, get it shipped out and claim the 17.5% UK purchase tax back (which covers the vast majority of the shipping fees) than it is going to BIC Camera or Yodibashi and buying it here. Even allowing for 50GBP to buy a transformer to get a 220V supply.

Glen

GlenMH, Nov 10, 2008
Ask a Question