New owner.....frustrating connection problems

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ironeagleuk, May 2, 2009.

1. ironeagleuk

ironeagleuk

Just purchased an Acer Aspire One AOA 110 with Linpus installed from Tescos for £99 as a discontinued product.

Am curently trying to use it via a wired connection to my XP machine which hosts my internet connection.

Some sites I have tried work fine, like Google.....

but the default homepage doesn't work: http://acer.yahoo.com/
    This site comes up as "The connection was reset"

When I try to connect to the Linpus site, it doesn't seem to find it....it just sits there saying "Loading"...as it does with this site also.

Have tried the live update, and that just sits there saying "Receiving data from site", but then after about 10 minutes fails.

I have tried automatically asign an IP, and not....but doesn't make any difference.

Is there anyway I can download updates on my XP machine then transfer them to the Acer to try and help with things?

Am quite proficient with XP, and networking on there, but am somewhat baffled with this Linpus system.

Thanks in advance

Richard

ironeagleuk, May 2, 2009
  2. ironeagleuk

ironeagleuk

36 hours later and no reply?....how disappointing.....I guess I must have a chocolate teapot then if no one has any ideas :cry:

ironeagleuk, May 4, 2009
  3. ironeagleuk

ironeagleuk

Ok, having sat up all night (tis 3:45am now) I have managed to get Live Update working by turning off the FireWall on my XP machine.

Shall leave it updating while I have 3 hours sleep before work.

Thanks for all your help

ironeagleuk, May 5, 2009
  4. ironeagleuk

Tamrac

You should pick up a DSL router instead of using an XP machine for sharing the connection. It will be less hassle to get things working. Plus you would be using the AAO's wifi connection w/c will free you up from cables. Just a suggestion.

Tamrac, May 5, 2009
  5. ironeagleuk

ironeagleuk

I've got the wireless working now.....managed to sort out all the settings on my host XP machine and the AAO

Still only working with the firewall off

I guess a wireless DSL router is the best way to go...thanks for the suggestion Tamrac.....but will have to try and get on with what I have for the time being.

I seem to get a dropped connection on the AAO though, the wireless disconnects occasionally

ironeagleuk, May 5, 2009
Ask a Question