New owner please help

Discussion in 'Linux' started by cookoospite, May 27, 2009.

1. cookoospite

cookoospite

HI everyone,

i have just brought the 8gb Linux Lite version. There are a few things that I don't know how to do, I am sure this list will grow as i am used to windows.

Do I need / can you rec if I do virus software for the acer? - I know it's been asked before but I want to shop from my acer, which obviously involves entering card details and I have a PC win and I will be transferring files between the two all the time. I really need to know if my details will be secure.

How in the heck do you type the @ symbol? - It's probably already on here but there are 30 pages of topics!

Lastly...

Can I chat to people who are using win messenger using acer messenger, see my win contacts using the linux programme?, if I can please tell me how to find the settings in order to have it working. It took several tries to find the correct key to connect to the inet. Is there anyway to call up IP settings, computer tech set computers up yrs ago, never had any problems so don't know a thing about what settings for which thing. I don't even know how to link outlook with hotmail (win, just moaning about my lack of expertise.)

Please provide me with answers if you can.

cookoospite, May 27, 2009
  2. cookoospite

solpuerto

Hi
    With regard to Keyboard sounds that yours is set for English (US-International), click Settings then Keyboard and select English (UK) as default.

solpuerto, May 27, 2009
  3. cookoospite

cookoospite

Thanks, this I figured out since trolling through the system. Help is appreciated :mrgreen:

cookoospite, May 28, 2009
  4. cookoospite

groeswenphil

groeswenphil, May 28, 2009
  5. cookoospite

cookoospite

Thanks Phil, How do I find out if I have a firewall, does the aspire one have one built in? :?:

cookoospite, Jun 4, 2009
  6. cookoospite

barrie

Hi cookoospite,

Regarding a firewall no is the answer, if you are desperate to add one to your Linux system then try Firestarter here is the free download link.
    http://www.fs-security.com/

Personally I only use an AV for email checking as I do not want to send an infected mail to friends running windows.

barrie, Jun 4, 2009
  7. cookoospite

groeswenphil

As far as I know, no it doesn't..................but your router probably has. Check there.

Shields Up is a service that will probe your computer.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

My Aspire One passed without any vulnerabilities. It has no firewall but my router does.

Phil

groeswenphil, Jun 5, 2009
  8. cookoospite

cookoospite

Thanks

cookoospite, Jun 12, 2009
Ask a Question