New user with a question about wireless speed

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jztemple, Mar 20, 2009.

1. jztemple

jztemple

Just got my Acer Aspire today! WinXP version, 1GB RAM, 160GB hard drive. Been tinkering with it and I have a question.

I have been testing my wireless speed versus a nice Gateway that I have. I've been using Speedtest.net to get performance data. I did search and found the item about turning off Power Save for the wireless card in the Aspire in the Device Manager and that did loads to help.

Ultimately I'm finding that while my Gateway is getting about 8800 kbps, my Aspire sitting right next to it is getting about 4600 kbps. I did hook up the Aspire to a wired Ethernet and got 125000 kbps, so I know the rig does process that fast.

So my question is, does this represent the difference between the antenna, etc of a full size laptop versus the Aspire, or do I need to tweak something else?

jztemple, Mar 20, 2009
  2. jztemple

goofball

it could be due to antenna, wireless card (are they both identical?), driver version, or a combination of any of the 3.

goofball, Mar 21, 2009
Ask a Question