NEW WIFI Atheros Driver(7.6.1.184) MS Update

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ccbrianf, Dec 23, 2008.

1. ccbrianf

ccbrianf

ccbrianf, Dec 23, 2008
  2. ccbrianf

caulktel

I currently have 7.6.0.260 install on mine, and trying to update it through Microsoft's site says that it is the current driver. I think I will wait till we know more about this driver. It would be nice if this fixed the annoying thing where it keeps popping up every 5 minutes or so showing me that I'm connected to my access point, well duh!

caulktel, Dec 23, 2008
  3. ccbrianf

ccbrianf

I do currently have the 7.6.1.170 driver from the link posted above installed, and it has been working perfectly without the problem you mention above, or any others, for about two weeks now.

ccbrianf, Dec 23, 2008
  4. ccbrianf

nmesisca

I am using them at the moment (7.6.1.184) and I have to say it feels sligthly quicker when browsing.
    and im using the Maximum powersave.
    I have not yet tried to transfer a big file though.. will update as soon as I try that.

nmesisca, Dec 23, 2008
  5. ccbrianf

caulktel

Well, I updated to it also, will see how it goes. Seems to be working just fine.

caulktel, Dec 23, 2008
  6. ccbrianf

dman79

So far so good, I had no trouble updating to 170, but this 184 gave me a little trouble it kept trying to load the win98 drivers instead so manually picked the athw.ini instead athwx.ini

dman79, Dec 23, 2008
  7. ccbrianf

Nemix

Microsoft Update gives you 7.6.0.260.

Are the 7.6.0.260 from MSU newer than the official ones form Acer site 7.6.1.149?

I previously had 7.6.1.170 installed before I updated via MSU, which gave me 7.6.0.260.

My guess is the one on Microsoft Update site are newer but the driver numbering just got totally screwed up... :?

Nemix, Jan 4, 2009
  8. ccbrianf

ccbrianf

I would assume not, but since I never had 7.6.1.149 installed, I don't really know for sure.

Your guess would be wrong:

7.6.0.260 is dated 08/14/2008.
    7.6.1.160 is dated 10/07/2008.
    7.6.1.170 is dated 10/20/2008.
    7.6.1.184 is dated 11/05/2008.

This is a common problem. Microsoft will often release a stability update that is actually older than what many people have manually installed. Thus, it will actually downgrade them since it thinks it has total control.

Keep in mind though, generally higher version numbers mean support for new products, new features, or a more advanced code base. Even if the 0.260's were newer by date, they would probably just be a bug fix branch release. If that's the kind of stability you prefer, then so be it.

As a software developer myself, I prefer to stay current as long as the drivers continue to support my product. This is because my experience is that the bug fix branch releases only get fixes because of specific customer demand. The maintenance cost for all those branches is just too high otherwise. Many bug fixes and enhancements go into later software versions because they are discovered during development, but have not yet been specifically requested, or even discovered, by a customer. They won't get back ported until there's a driving reason to invest the effort.

Obviously, on the flip side, support for new products and new features can be destabilizing too. And, as the product ages with respect to the software, this becomes a greater risk. Choose your evil ;-). I prefer active development and fixes; you may prefer only specifically requested fixes. My experience says the latter is only an illusion of stability, and the former is safer in the long run, even thought it may be temporarily more risky.

ccbrianf, Jan 4, 2009
  9. ccbrianf

Nemix

Agreed. :lol:

Thanks for pointing that out...

Nemix, Jan 4, 2009
Ask a Question