Newbie here - and unhappy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Guest, May 7, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi All

I joined this forum yesterday after buying a "factory refurbished" Aspire One from an Amazon.co.uk seller. Unfortunately it seems I was ripped off and got a dead Aspire One :evil:

It all seemed OK, I plugged it in, charged the battery for several hours, switch the netbook on, got a blue screen with Aspire One in the corner, then the desktop (Linux version) appeared and before I could do anything it switched off.

I tried powering the thing up several times and couldn't even get past the blue screen so I gave up and called the company to complain.

Their product support person told me this was normal, something to do with the battery software, he told me that when the blue screen was showing I had to repeatedly hit either the "Enter" or "Backspace" keys, he couldn't remember which!!

Any way that didn't work either so I told them I wanted a refund, I doubt I'll get a full refund because they say its not broken, has anyone else heard of this, is it normal?

I'm hoping I get my money back so I can get another Aspire One from somewhere else,

Is AcerDirect a reliable company?

Guest, May 7, 2010
  2. Guest

Swarvey Moderator

Doesn't sound right to me at all. I would expect that any "new" computer, or one advertised as working, should in fact work. I'd be going for a full refund straight away. AcerDirect seems to be a UK business, and one would hope that they are bound by the same refund laws as any other business.

Swarvey, May 7, 2010
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

I sent it back on Thursday and got an email from Amazon last night to say I have been given a full refund for the Aspire One but not for the postage to return it!
    I've been in touch with AcerDirect and it seems they are the same company as Laptops Direct, also a UK company, to try to find out if their "Grade A1" netbooks work straight from the box like a new one would. The one I looked at was shown as "Grade A1 - as new with slightly damaged box".

Guest, May 8, 2010
  4. Guest

KiNG

trading standards

KiNG, May 29, 2010
Ask a Question