Newbie questions on SSD & SDHC

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Gemstone, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Gemstone

Gemstone

I recently bought an Acer Aspire One, PN LU.S030B.043, MODEL NO. ZG5...It comes equipped with 16Gb storage... 8Gb SSD + 8Gb SDHC... I am a little confused about this...

Is the 8Gb SSD a solid-state HD and is it internal??...

Is the 8Gb SDHC the card installed into the slot on the left hand side of the case??

Thanks....

Gemstone, Jul 3, 2009
  2. Gemstone

DutchDK

Correct on both accounts.

If you have the AAO with Linpus Lite Linux on it, the 8GB SDHC card in the left cardreader will be "merged" with the /home folder on the internal storage, giving the appearence of a single 16 GB storage device (1 GB used for swap, and the rest containing the Linpus OS and your /home folder). It will use the internal storage first when you save documents in your /home folder, although you can save directly to the 8G SDHC card, by specifying that device in the save dialog.

If you have the Windows version of the AAO, the 8GB SSD will be your C drive, and the 8 GB SDHC (or any other SD card you insert in the left hand cardreader) will be the D drive. No automatical merging of the storage space will take place.

DutchDK, Jul 3, 2009
  3. Gemstone

Gemstone

OK, thanks for the reply... I have the Windows OS... My next question is the SDHC card appears to not be removable... When I push it in it pops out about 1/8 inch and then if I pull on it I can't remove it... Is this normal or am I not pulling hard enough??? ... The reason I'm asking is I am wondering if this SDHC can be replaced with a higher capacity...

Gemstone, Jul 3, 2009
  4. Gemstone

DutchDK

Pull harder. Wriggle it a bit, since it might just be a tight fit.

And yes you can officially use up to 16 GB SDHC cards, although 32 GB SDHC cards should work too. They just weren't available when the AAO was announced. Get as high a Class rating as you can afford for the SDHC card, you will appreciate the writespeed. (Class 6 is currently the highest rating, and comes with a premium price.)

DutchDK, Jul 3, 2009
  5. Gemstone

Gemstone

OK, got it out... I was just a wimp and afraid to pull too hard... Thanks...

What's a good source for these SDHC cards??

And, what's the difference between a SDHC card and a SSD??

Gemstone, Jul 3, 2009
  6. Gemstone

drdeguzman

Is there still no possibility of using the Storage Expansion slot in XP, Vista or Win7 as a merged drive with the SSD?

drdeguzman, Jul 7, 2009
  7. Gemstone

DutchDK

Since the Microsoft OS's doesn't have a filesystem with the equivalent functionality of the aufs filesystem used to merged the SD storage space with the SSD storagespace in the Linpus lite distro on the AAO, there isn't any possibility to do so under XP, Vista, or Win7.
    Send your complaints by registered mail to 1 Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA, USA.

What you can do, is to move the Documents folder to the SD card, and thereby automatically store documents made on the SD card.
    Rightclick on the My Documents folder, and select properties. Then use the Move button, to transfer your documents folder to the SD card. Just remember that in the future the SD card must be in the cardreader when you boot windows, or Windows will be behaving peculiarly.

DutchDK, Jul 7, 2009
  8. Gemstone

drdeguzman

Does this mean that this is the case even for those 10.1 models that actually came with XP pre-installed?

drdeguzman, Jul 7, 2009
  9. Gemstone

DutchDK

Which part of the sentence "Since the Microsoft OS's doesn't have a filesystem with the equivalent functionality of the aufs filesystem used to merged the SD storage space with the SSD storagespace in the Linpus lite distro on the AAO, there isn't any possibility to do so under XP, Vista, or Win7." didn't you understand ? :roll:

DutchDK, Jul 7, 2009
  10. Gemstone

drdeguzman

As you can hopefully imagine, not all users are as experienced/knowledgeable with the AA1 (or IT tech speak in general) as many people are on this forum and asking for clarification is a way for us "newbies" to feel reassured that we understand the advice that we got in the first instance.

Thanks anyway for the clarification on my question, DutchDK, though a "yes" would have been sufficient; even minus the smiley icon. Your reply is really encouraging for new users to come back and use this welcoming site again.

drdeguzman, Jul 8, 2009
  11. Gemstone

DutchDK

I'm not here to be a sweet political correct kissy-kissy-hugs-hugs kinda person. I am here to gain information, and possibly share information. I answered your question the first time you asked it, and answered it IMHO in a way that left no possibility for misunderstanding.
    As you then proceeded to ask basically the same question again, and just phrased it differently, I was wrong on that assumption. So naturally I then ask which part of the previous answer you didn't understand, in order to be able to answer similar questions better in the future.

That you take it as a personal jab against you, isn't something I can do anything about, except suggest you grow a thicker skin.

DutchDK, Jul 8, 2009
  12. Gemstone

Blinkenlights

Which part of volume mount points in NTFS do you not understand?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307889
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938934.aspx

Blinkenlights, Jul 16, 2009
Ask a Question