Newer sound drivers support noise suppression

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Guest, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Anyway I have an Asus 4G EEEPC and my new AspireOne, both running windows. I use my aspire one to video chat with my GF who i gave the Asus too. Anyway I was happy with the skype video calls but not very happy with the poor microphone performance, mainly due to horrible static and background noise. Both my asus and acer had the latest drivers from the manufacter's website, though only the asus had the option for noise supression in the realtek software. Just for the hell of it, I isntalled the same driver from the asus website on my aspire one and bingo it now has noise suppression too for the microphone. The audio drivers on the acer website are very outdated and recommend updating it to the latest drivers. The noise suppression makes a HUGE difference. Hope this will be of help to any of you who voice chat like me :).

Guest, Nov 3, 2008
  2. Guest

solman

got a link or name of the driver's file?

solman, Nov 3, 2008
  3. Guest

mathemabeat

hmmm...I think he might be on to something.

I was having problems in XP were everytime I started playing back any audio, there would be a pop sound and about 5 seconds after the sound stopped, there was another pop. Like the way the driver was initializing the audio hardware. Even installing the most recent drivers from Realtek and I would still have this issue. Under Vista, using the default drivers included with Vista (not the realtek ones) it worked pretty much perfectly. So I knew it was a driver issue under XP.

I just followed his suggestion and downloaded these:

http://dlsvr.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePC/EeePC4G(701)/Audio_XP_071011.zip

You can also find them by going to the Asus website, go to support and pick the eeePC 4G and select XP drivers.

Just tested them and so far no audio problems at all! No pops and clicks at all. I only briefly tested the mic and it seems to be working ok, but to be honest its not a terribly important feature to me so I haven't really tested it much.

So, for those folks having issues, maybe these other audio drivers will provide you with better audio.

mathemabeat, Nov 4, 2008
  4. Guest

solman

i checked out those drivers last night and the version numbers are older than the ones on my aa1. i noticed my realtek sound manager has an option for microphone boost, so maybe that's the same thing the op was talking about, except in the opposite way. noise suppression vs. microphone boost.

solman, Nov 4, 2008
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

If you download the latest drivers from realtek it doesn't have noise suppression. All drivers I see have the mic boost, though I think all it does is increase the volume. That doesnt matter in skype because it adjusts the volume automatically. For me the microphone is important so maybe some will find this usefull. I'm also looking into replacing the built in mic for a much better one :)

Guest, Nov 4, 2008
  6. Guest

flatfly

i tried the latest audio drivers (both from asus and acer websites) and i do not get that option.
    can you let us know what is the version number of those drivers that support noise suppression?
    or even better, upload them on here?

I'd be extremely grateful for that. The background noise on my mic is annoyingly high.

flatfly, Feb 21, 2009
Ask a Question