News from Cebit 2009 - 1080P with ATOM and ZIF SSD

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by fridtear, Mar 8, 2009.

1. fridtear

fridtear

Hi, guys, is there anyone insterested in Cebit 2009 in Hannover? I spent the whole day there and have just returned from Germany. Found A lot of insteresting stuffs and I believe at least two of them somehow won't be too improper to be put here. ;)

The first is a system playing H264 1080P, with ATOM+945 combination, just like any normal netbook. And the CPU usage is always lower than 20% during the playback. It does look like a typical N270 system but the secret is beneath the MB - A hardware decoder card is responsible for the decoding. I guess such a card can be used for AA1 since it uses standard Mini PCI-E connection. It might be a promising solution for HD playback on present ATOM platforms and maybe we don't have to wait for NVIDIA's ION any more. The guy over there wouldn't tell me when and where I could buy such a card. He just said big news will be noticed next week here and there on the internet.

Here are the pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another product is ZIF SSD made by Super Talent, which is also a candidate substitute for the original 8GB SSD in A110. I don't know if someone has found and tried them before. I asked someone in charge of those things if their ZIF products fit AA1 or not, but got no answer. Apparently they've never tried that either. :(

The only pic shows the smallest one in their counter, much smaller than the well-know but proved-to-be-incompatible Runcore Mini-ZIF SSD. If that works with A110, it might be the easiest solution for SSD hack because you don't have to change anything on the bottom to fit it in. :)

[​IMG]

fridtear, Mar 8, 2009
  2. fridtear

jackluo923

I wonder what bitrate are those 1080P h.264 videos. AAO 150X can play 3-4mbps 1080P videos with about 80-90% cpu ultilization. 720P 3-4mbps 720P videos uses about 60-70% cpu.

jackluo923, Mar 8, 2009
  3. fridtear

fridtear

Yes, my A110 can do with 3-4Mbps 720P file as well, with a few lags when the bitrate peaks at 5-6Mbps.

Anyway, I could not check the bitrate of that video on Cebit. The guy only told me that it is a blueray edition of that cartoon movie. He also played a 1080p VC-1 video clip as I requested on that machine and the CPU usage is almost the same, although he hadn't mentioned that before.

fridtear, Mar 9, 2009
  4. fridtear

Torro

Torro, Mar 9, 2009
  5. fridtear

fridtear

Well, I think at least someone with external LCD would like to watch 1080p or 720p with AA1. Besides, such a card helps Atom playback H264, VC-1 files at very low CPU usage and energy comsuming level, hence reduces the annoying fan noise as well. And for me, I need this because when I'm traveling with my HD camcorder, which produces AVCHD files, I can watch and check the video clips with AA1 any time I want during the trip.

And, I'm a little bit puzzled about the link you posted. Isn't that a hardware encoding device? That could be different thing because what I saw on Cebit was a hardware decoding card, for real-time playback.

fridtear, Mar 9, 2009
Ask a Question