NIS Netbook Edition

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Bramster, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Bramster

Bramster

I just spotted the Symantec Norton Internet Security Netbook 2009, USB. This is a special NETBOOK EDITION

[​IMG]

In a couple of weeks the free McAfee that came with my AO751h will be expired. Should I extend the McAfee subscribtion or would this NIS Netbook Edition be a better solution ?

Bramster, Oct 1, 2009
  2. Bramster

melhiore

All Norton or Symantec products are not good even for desktops. It probably will kill overall netbook performance as all products does that... There are much better alternatives.

melhiore, Oct 1, 2009
  3. Bramster

Bramster

Ah, ok, that is why they often rank so good

Bramster, Oct 1, 2009
  4. Bramster

melhiore

Their position in any rank depends on person doing them ranks. Believe me - I do work with PC last 7 or 8 years maybe more. Symantec products never been good from performance point of view. They do the job but still require a lot from PC. You can imagine then what they will pull from netbook...

melhiore, Oct 1, 2009
  5. Bramster

Bramster

That goes for your ranking too ot course

7 or 8 ? Thats not long, you must me a young dude ;-)

Are there any reviews available that compare the various netbook security suites that you know of ?

Bramster, Oct 1, 2009
  6. Bramster

melhiore

I'm not. I WORK with PCs on professional level - I'm not using them as toys - this part of my life I finished some while ago...

There is nothing available for netbooks. You need to do some research and choose for your self. All I can recommend is SpyBOT Search and Destroy(freeware). I use Avast for antivirus and sometimes online scanners. All this software does not require too much from netbook, works well in background and does not causing any problems with performance. You probably going to ask about firewall. I use WinXP one with some little tweaks - works rather well as I had no problems with "hackers" so far.

melhiore, Oct 1, 2009
  7. Bramster

grwkak

Norton and McAfee tend to use significant resources (memory, cpu etc). Netbooks by design are limited in resources. So its usually better to use a security solution that is lightweight. I do not know if this NIS would hog resources but I would be wary. I use Avast on my Acer One (ZG5). This is why melhiore recommends steering away from them.

grwkak, Oct 2, 2009
  8. Bramster

Forone

There's a lot of holdover bad feeling for Norton from a few years ago. Now it's the best and lowest resource security available, but not cheap. Running NIS2009 standard (not netbook) on all my machines, including an old 866mhz Dell with 512 RAM, and it has virtually no performance impact. Norton bashers are flat out wrong about current offerings, though they had good reason to be sour prior to 2007 (I certainly was.) By comparison, McAfee has not improved its product by most reports.

However, I suggest waiting for post-Xmas sales - I haven't paid over $30 for NIS in several years, and you get three licenses with it for other computers (don't know what you'd get with a "netbook" version.) Once you've "timed" your annual subscription to start in January, you have an annual shot at a serious discount from a big box retailer. In the meantime, I'd look at the free new Microsoft Security Essentials (google some reviews)

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2 ... resses.ars

and Avira, both effective and light on resources, though might want to add a free firewall like ZoneAlarm or Comodo with either of those, depending on whether you use the netbook away from your home router sometimes.

Forone, Oct 2, 2009
  9. Bramster

Bramster

I just noticed an announcement for a Security Suite Comparison Test in my favorite computer magazine next month. So I guess I have to at least wait till I have read that test.

Bramster, Oct 3, 2009
  10. Bramster

wanderlust

Firewall

melhiore, You mentioned that you use a "tweaked" version of windows firewall - what would you recommend doing to it? I've got an A150 with Avast (and hopefully soon I'll get my WD Scorpio Blue 500gb HDD dropped in) and was wondering about a suitable firewall to run with Avast. I'm going away to SE Asia soon so I want to be as secure as poss - whilst at home I know I've got the peace of mind of the additional security afforded to me by my router.

I'm using Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-aware and Advanced Windows Optimizer - any other software recommendations guys?

wanderlust, Oct 15, 2009
  11. Bramster

melhiore

Re: Firewall

Try one or another. Both programs performs similar operations so it's not recommended to have them both working in one system. I use only SpyBOT which does everything I'm expecting from this software.

I do not remember name of this utility. It's just GUI for ICF giving more flexibility then ICF it self. What I can suggest is using dedicated firewall from ZoneAlarm or Sygate - they are fine - doing the job and not killing performance.

melhiore, Oct 15, 2009
  12. Bramster

wanderlust

Sorry, I'm not up on the technical terms, what are GUI and ICF?

Have you tried either of those firewalls along side Avast?

Bramster,

What were the results from the magaizne comparison?

wanderlust, Oct 16, 2009
  13. Bramster

melhiore

GUI = Graphical User Interface - it's what you see on your screen.
    ICF = Internet Connectivity Firewall - I think it's M$ name ;)

melhiore, Oct 16, 2009
  14. Bramster

wanderlust

Ah right, that's a bit clearer, thanks. :)

Have you tried either of the Firewalls that you mentioned on you netbook?

wanderlust, Oct 16, 2009
  15. Bramster

melhiore

Apart from ZoneAlarm and Sygate Personal Firewall I wasn't testing anything else as both them firewalls working fine. Avast works on my netbook all the time, apart from that SpyBOT works continuously as well.

melhiore, Oct 16, 2009
  16. Bramster

Bramster

The magazine will hit the news stands next week.

Bramster, Oct 25, 2009
  17. Bramster

wanderlust

Ah right, can you let us know what the results were?

Cheers.

wanderlust, Oct 25, 2009
  18. Bramster

Forone

Forone, Oct 27, 2009
Ask a Question