No Audio On Firefox (Youtube, BBC Iplayer, Last FM etc)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mcvay1981, Dec 11, 2008.

1. mcvay1981

mcvay1981

Hi,

Relative novice to Linux and on the verge of throwing my machine out the window - please don't make me resort!!

Basically, I have done a fair amount of customising of late and suddenly I have no sound on any web-based streaming service (egs I am particularly interested in above!) There are no problems getting sound in VLC, Banshee or Amarok so I am pretty sure it's not a hardware issue.

Have done a good trawl trough these pages and the best suggestion was to install Real Player. I installed version 11 no probs by following the instructions; Real Player works fine but still no Youtube sound! Played with various settings, tried installing a few codec / plugin packs and have had no joy - arrggghhhh!!

If anyone would be kind enough to save my sanity, I would be most grateful,

Thanks in advance,

Will

mcvay1981, Dec 11, 2008
  2. mcvay1981

pablo2340

Hello, Will. I hope you won't throw your AAO on the fire. I too am a Linux newbie, and I have had some problems (not your specific ones), and have found that the best way to resolve them (though it might sound a bit drastic) is to re-install your whole system and start again. The re-installation is by way of the Recovery CD, if you have a CD player from which you can boot (I find most USB CD players will work with the AAO); or by way of a recovery USB drive (the way to make one of these is explained in the literature that come with the Recovery CD). Re-installation takes about half an hour or so.
    Once you have re-installed your system, you should do a Live Update (from the Settings menu), which will also take about half an hour or so. Then I would advise you to try BBC iPlayer (can only be used on the BBC iPlayer site with Linux - there is no iPlayer Download Manager for Linux), and the others. You should find that they work OK. After that you could do your customising step-by-step, checking that everything is still working as you want it after each step - in that way you should find out what installation or customization causes the loss of sound - then just don't do that one (if it's something you have installed, un-install it; if it's some other customization, you may need to do the complete re-install again...!).

I have done the customization of the desktop described in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4310
    and have installed various programs, including VLC and Audacity (but NOT Firefox 3), and am now satisfied with what I have. For me, BBC iPlayer works in Firefox, as does YouTube and Last FM.

I think the re-installation efforts are worth it - the AAO with Linux, while having some limitations, is a great little machine!

pablo2340, Dec 13, 2008
  3. mcvay1981

mcvay1981

Cheers for the response,

Yeah, have pretty much decided a re-boot is in order - still not working unfortunately. Strangely enough, I too customized my desktop using the directions you sent the link to and hasn't worked properly since!

Oh well, it's all a learning curve I suppose!

mcvay1981, Dec 15, 2008
Ask a Question