No COM PORTS

Discussion in 'Windows' started by iano, Apr 17, 2009.

1. iano

iano

Having swapped Linux for Windows XP my Aspire One works OK except that I have no WiFi working and apparently no Com Ports.

The WiFi problem I am working on.

With regard to the Com Ports, I have searched with ComChecker software and there appears to be none. Could someone give me an idiots guide how to obtain these please, or are they unobtainable on an Acer One?
    Thanks, Ian

iano, Apr 17, 2009
  2. iano

ronime

With the possible exception of the 3G modem installed in certain AA1s, there are no COM (serial) ports built into the AA1.

Can I ask what makes you think that Windows XP Device Manager should be reporting available COM ports on your AA1?

ronime, Apr 17, 2009
  3. iano

adrianaitken

eBay. Search for USB serial and you'll get a load from HongKong sellers cheaply. I used to use one on my work laptop. THey just install as COM3 or whatever. Dead easy and convienient.

adrianaitken, Apr 17, 2009
  4. iano

iano

Adrian, my problem is that I want to use GPS on my AA1 and whilst the GPS plugs into a USB socket it then look for a COM Port which does not appear to be there. Consequently the reason for buying the AA1 has disappeared.

Having posted this item, I am surprised that no one else seems to have had a COM Port problem.
    Cheers, Ian

iano, Apr 20, 2009
  5. iano

ronime

With USB-based serial devices you usually need to install a "USB to serial" driver provided by the device manufacturer. The COM ports should then appear in Device Manager. Many mobile phone data cables and mobile phones with built in USB ports work this way.

ronime, Apr 20, 2009
  6. iano

Guest Guest

My Aspire 1 has no com ports and thus has no com port problems :)

Guest, Apr 21, 2009
  7. iano

Rich in ILM

Ian,

I use a couple of devices that need com ports on my XP Acer 150. It is, strictly, the device driver that sets that up. It's a bridge between the old days of serial ports and current availibility of USB ports. I know of no current motherboards that even provide comm ports. Look to your device and it's drivers.

Rich in ILM, Apr 21, 2009
Ask a Question