No Desktop After Trying To Download Gnome

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rogermc, Jan 31, 2009.

1. rogermc

rogermc

Hi,
    I tried to download gnome to get a better desktop. I have the AA1 150 with Linpus. After loading the file, when the netbook starts up, I have a tool bar at the bottom of the screen but the rest of the screen is black. When I try to open the terminal or right click for the advanced menu, nothing happens. When I click the house symbol on bottom left of screen, the error message says :

Could not run command: xfdesktop2--gohome:
    Failed to execute child process "xfdesktop2" (No such file or directory)

Cheers,
    Rog

rogermc, Jan 31, 2009
  2. rogermc

drfhm

Same with me , also by trying to instal gnome from repositry , it removed XFCE ,grrrrrr , dont have a clue where to go from here .Anyone that can help please .

drfhm, May 11, 2009
  3. rogermc

RockDoctor

My best guess is that you're suffering from the consequences of mixing repositories. Did GNOME come from a Fedora 8 repository? Your GNOME upgrade probably overwrote one or more Linpus-customized files with (more-or-less) stock versions of those files; hence the breakage. You can always boot from a live CDROM or USB stick, back up your data onto a USB stick, and completely overwrite your now-broken Linpus installation with the original Linpus configuration (from your recovery DVD), or you could install the live distro to your AA1's drive.

RockDoctor, May 26, 2009
Ask a Question