No Internet Connection after Ubuntu Auto-Update

Discussion in 'Linux' started by zhchtw, Mar 1, 2009.

1. zhchtw

zhchtw

Hey,

So after recently getting my netbook (Acer Aspire One) I decided to dual-boot it with Linux as I heard it would be better for it and all I really do on it is word processing and going on the internet so I thought Linux would be a good try. I decided to go with the Ubuntu version downloaded off here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

After installing Ubuntu off a Thumb Drive created from my desktop, I followed the instructions here to fix any problems that have been found on Ubuntu that are linked with the AAO such as wireless, wireless LED, sound, etc. here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

After performing most of the tasks there (including the wireless and wireless LED and wireless after suspend mode), Ubuntu prompted me to update the system so I did. Now before the update, my wired internet worked fine as did my wireless, everything tested and all. However, after the update and installing them, wireless NOR WIRED works which I find extremely odd. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks!

zhchtw, Mar 1, 2009
  2. zhchtw

diggmc

Unfortunately the latest Ubuntu (Intrepid) Kernel 2.6.27-11 completely borks networking. You can check and see what version of the kernel you are using by opening up a terminal window and issuing the command "uname -a" (no quotes).
    A temporary solution is to use the previous version of the kernel. At boot time when the system offers you the option to press <ESC>, do so and select 2.6.27-9 (I believe that's the correct version number).

This has been an outstanding problem for some weeks now and it's still not been resolved by Canonical.

Gord

diggmc, Mar 1, 2009
  3. zhchtw

zhchtw

Alright I tried what you said to do (except my older one is -7 not -9) and it worked for wired and I was trying to get wireless to work until my netbook asked for some encryption key thing and I couldn't get out of it so I rebooted and now it doesn't work either. I checked the current version in terminal and it read -7 not -11...suggestions?

*edit* Also when I go to Network Connections next to "Auto eth0" under Wired it says: "never"

zhchtw, Mar 1, 2009
  4. zhchtw

biboklaus

i'm using the -8 and everthing works fine, for three months now...

biboklaus, Mar 4, 2009
  5. zhchtw

qvoffka

Yes, the same problem. Todays update and I can't see wlan0 and use wifi... what to do with this?

qvoffka, Mar 4, 2009
  6. zhchtw

biboklaus

i did the today updates few hours ago and still everything works...

biboklaus, Mar 4, 2009
  7. zhchtw

qvoffka

I understood where problem was (great thanx to other ubuntu users.)
    So it's linux kernel common problem for this wifi device. If
    Code:
    dmesg
    gives output
    Code:
    phy0: can't reset the device
    shut the AAO down, get battery off. Wait 2 minutes. Attach battery and load again.

qvoffka, Mar 6, 2009
Ask a Question