No live updates for my ONE???

Discussion in 'Linux' started by aclinml, Jan 16, 2009.

1. aclinml

aclinml

OK, I bought the Aspire on 12/30 and have had it for about two weeks. I just got a backup/restore process working properly, so I am ready to do my first 'Live Update'. However, when I do the check, I get the message "Your computer is already up to date". But when click on the 'History' button, I get the message "You have not installed any updates".

Has anyone else received an Aspire One recently, and also has the "Your computer is already up to date" message. Have I screwed something up the last two weeks and should I do a restore by to factory setting and try updating again???

Also, using the Advanced function desktop, I can click on SYSTEM ===> SOFTWARE UPDATER, and this brings up something called Package Updater that does have several updates available, such as, 'Updated fedora release packages available', and 'Updated NetworkManager packages available', and about 18 others.

How is this different from Live Update, and should I install all of the Package Update pieces???

Thanks, very much a Linux newbie.

aclinml, Jan 16, 2009
  2. aclinml

daldred

DO NOT use the software updater - it will break your system. This opion is for normal XFCE implementations of linux; the Acer-ised version is not normal!

daldred, Jan 18, 2009
  3. aclinml

devondave

Good advice, do not use Live update or software updates, it will screw your system.....

Since i had abandoned using either of these my little acer has been running like a dream :) :)

devondave, Jan 19, 2009
  4. aclinml

daldred

LiveUpdate has been fine on mine, but Software Updater is a completely different thing!

daldred, Jan 19, 2009
Ask a Question