No More Updates?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jhedrotten, Dec 26, 2008.

1. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

Seems like the last update was last Nov. 5, 2008 which even isn't a big update, only a useless one.

With the support for Fedora 8 ending in January 7, 2009, and a lot of users switching to other distros, wouldn't Linpus, together with Acer, <textarea name="message" id="message" rows="15" cols="76" tabindex="3" onselect="storeCaret(this);" onclick="storeCaret(this);" onkeyup="storeCaret(this);" class="inputbox">Seems like the last update was last Nov. 5, 2008 which even isn't a big update, only a useless one.

With the support for Fedora 8 ending in a month or so, and a lot of users switching to other distros, wouldn't Linpus, together with Acer, update the system for a Fedora 10 based Linpus Lite?

Well I have been using Fedora 10 on my AA1, but I have to admit that as soon as Linpus and Acer releases something that is based on F10, I would surely switch over to that one.
    Nothing could be more seamless than something that came from the OEM themselves.

jhedrotten, Dec 26, 2008
  2. jhedrotten

steven.chien

I hope so, but seems that Linpus do not depend on support by Fedora even though it use Fedora 8 to be the core of the OS. If Acer and Linpus release a New OS for us, I hope that Acer will make the system more "open" so that normal modification won't be so hard, but I think the possibility for they to release a new OS will not be so big as I read a news article from Taiwan, saying that companies who develop Netbooks such as ASUS seems to be switching their focus to Windows as Users like Microsoft so much(I don't know why), and Competition between Linux and Windows, Linux will be the loser.

steven.chien, Dec 27, 2008
  3. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

Yes, but it seems like Linpus does not have a repository of their own, so if the Fedora 8 repos becomes unmaintained, and Linpus does not change it's core to be based on Fedora 9 or 10, then no package will be available and we need to depend on RPM.

jhedrotten, Dec 27, 2008
  4. jhedrotten

steven.chien

you are right, I think that's why they release many software on www.acer.com/aspireone/updates
    I think Acer want users to relay on them for third party software rather than using the official Fedora one. Which I think is not a good idea(although install software provided by Acer seems to be safer and easier).

steven.chien, Dec 28, 2008
Ask a Question