no wireless

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bjlockie, May 22, 2009.

1. bjlockie

bjlockie

I think the antenna died on the atheros.
    It suddenly can't pick up any networks.
    Even the one 3 feet away.
    If I try to connect to a hidden wireless network and the LED flashes to show it's trying to connect but there is no signal.

bjlockie, May 22, 2009
  2. bjlockie

daldred

Possibly a silly question, but you haven't turned it off with the wifi switch, have you?

If you've enabled the keys as part of setting up the distro for the One, then it's not all that hard to slide the swicth accidentally, and there's no on-screen display to tell you it's been switched off.

daldred, May 22, 2009
  3. bjlockie

bjlockie

Would the LED still light for attempted transmit when the switch is off?
    The "switch" is not what I would call a switch because there always is only one way to slide it and then it always returns to the left position.

It does work now.
    It is possible it was the switch although I did look there first.
    It is annoying there could be a problem but there is no feedback. :-(

bjlockie, May 23, 2009
  4. bjlockie

daldred

Oddly, I had a similar situation last night: tried switching off and on (or at least sliding the switch over), no difference. Eventually after mucking around with iwconfig, a router reboot, and a couple of restarts it suddenly just worked again.

No idea what happened, but in the end it worked!

daldred, May 24, 2009
  5. bjlockie

marc_firth

Had similar same issue last night:

1. First attempt - found my wifi network but couldn't connect. Check WEP key - toggled the wifi switch. But no joy. Rebooted
    2. Second attempt - wifi network module dissappeared completely. Rebooted twice
    3. Burst in to life again!

AA1's wifi toggle switch is really annoying as you have no idea what state it's in. A soft switch would be better or physical switch that actually showed state e.g. left = on, right = off.

Marc

marc_firth, May 26, 2009
  6. bjlockie

daldred

To be fair, on the original Linpus the light was always-on if the wireless was on, and always-off if it was off. The activity driven lights under Ubuntu are nice to some extent, but I think i probably preferred the solid light really.

Anyone know a way of getting back to led-means-on in Ubuntu?

daldred, May 26, 2009
Ask a Question