Not able to change rights/permissions

Discussion in 'Linux' started by desmoerick, Apr 2, 2009.

1. desmoerick

desmoerick

Hello everybody,

After spending already many hours on this forum I decided to post my problem.

I pretty new with Linux, so please keep it simple.

I will try to explain what my problem is:

I have a AAO 110 with 512Mb Ram and 8g SSD. In the expansion slot I have a Sandisk 8G ultraII. OS:Linux Linpus

This was working pretty good together but on one day I was not able to see the files on the SD card anymore, they we're just gone!
    I was able to see the files again when I placed the card in the right hand slot. Than I noticed that all the files on the card had suddenly a little puppet with a hand on them. When I right clicked and went to properties and than to permissions, I was not allowed to change anything there. I can see that the " group" is " root" and not "user" like on the files on the internal SSD.

Can anyone please help me with this anoying problem? :?

Thanks in advance.

Erick

desmoerick, Apr 2, 2009
  2. desmoerick

daldred

You need to run the file manager (Thunar) as root. Use the run dialog (alt-F2) and type "sudo thunar" into the box, and click run. You'll get a version of the file manager with a red bar at the top telling you it's dangerous (as root can beak things!).

Now find those files and you should be able to change the owner to 'user'.

daldred, Apr 2, 2009
  3. desmoerick

desmoerick

Thanks for the answer, but it didn't helped to solve my problem.

I will try to explain it better. If I put the SD card in the left hand slot, de AAO regonises that there is some more memory by popping up a screen that the expansion has been done.

You can also see that the memory has grown with 8gig. If I do "sudo thunar" I'm still not able to see the files! I have to put the SD card in the right hand slot and than I can see them with " sudo thunar" but still I am not able to change the rights, or cut/paste or do anything else than to copy the file! By the way the lock switch remains unlocked on the SC card. ;)

So does anyone know's what to do? I am running out of options..

Thanks in advance

desmoerick, Apr 2, 2009
  4. desmoerick

solpuerto

Hi desmoerick

I think you do not see the SD card in the LH slot as you need to change the View option in File Manager. Click View then Side Pane then Tree and you should see the LH SD/MMC Drive in the LH pane. The SD card in the LH slot is treated differently than when it is mounted in the RH slot. Acer "merging" the LH SD with the SSD???

I have just removed my SD card from the LH slot and put it in the RH slot and the permissions are just the same i.e. Owner, User, Read/Write then Group, Root, Read only and Others, Read only. I can Edit etc. the folders in either slot.

Now you said the Group is Root (same as mine) and not User, but who is the Owner and what is that Permission?

The data on the SD card is in the media/disk directory under File System. Are you able to see the folders there?

Now if you cannot edit the folders something has changed the permisson and therefore what daldred is giving you is an instruction to allow you to change the permission to what you want.

solpuerto, Apr 3, 2009
  5. desmoerick

desmoerick

Hi thanks for your reply.

I've tried to change the things you mentioned and I am now indeed able to see the files on the SD card when I changed it into Tree. But before this happened the SD card was threatend as a part of the internal SSD. Linux dedided where to put the files in, the policy is that to put the files in the map where the most available space is. Anyway, both (SSD and expansion SD) we're seen as one and now as 2! And I still have the little puppets besides the files:

[attachment=0:19af6hd4]Schermafdruk.png[/attachment:19af6hd4]

I cannot change anything to these files! If I try to change the rights but that doesn't work.

Everything has changed and I don't know why??

Hopefully anyone can help me further with this. Sorry for the lanquage in the picture, this is because I'm dutch.

Thanks

desmoerick, Apr 3, 2009
  6. desmoerick

solpuerto

Hi

You did not answer the question about Owner permission.

Under File System can you navigate to /home/user and see what permissions the files have there?

Did you follow daldred's instructions to change the permission?

solpuerto, Apr 3, 2009
  7. desmoerick

desmoerick

I followed the instructions, and when I try to change the permission while I'm in Sudo Thunar, I can try what I want, but Linux does not allow me to change the group from root to user...

?? Please ask me what to show you to make it more clear.

Thanks

desmoerick, Apr 3, 2009
  8. desmoerick

solpuerto

Hi desmoerik

The following is the permission table for the Pictures folder on my SD/MMC drive. What is yours?

[attachment=1:169r7evv]permissions.png[/attachment:169r7evv]
    The next one is the permission table for my /home/user/documents folder. What is yours?

[attachment=0:169r7evv]permission2.png[/attachment:169r7evv]

solpuerto, Apr 3, 2009
  9. desmoerick

desmoerick

Thanks for your reply,

I've checked the things you've showed me, and they are exactly the same... I think this is not right, is it? :oops:

???

desmoerick, Apr 3, 2009
  10. desmoerick

solpuerto

Hi erick

So on both, the Owner is User and the Access is Read and Write?

On the first screen shot if you select Home do your documents etc folders have the same no access symbol?

On the second screen shot (the SSD directory /home/user) do your Documents etc folders have the same no access symbol?

solpuerto, Apr 3, 2009
  11. desmoerick

solpuerto

Hi again

When you tried daldreds instructions to change permissions where you able to do anything on the permissions table?

solpuerto, Apr 3, 2009
  12. desmoerick

desmoerick

Hi there,

Again:

Internal SSD(home): Read and write, user, only read, only read, NO no access symbol.

External SD card:Read and write, root, only read, only read, there ARE no access symbols.

If I go to "sudo thunar" and than browse to my extra SD card, I can see the files, this time without the "no access" symbol but still not able to change the group from "root" to " user". I'm not 100% sure if this causes the problem.

Some screenshot's:

Hopefully this will help[attachment=3:1nxruhg7]Schermafdruk.png[/attachment:1nxruhg7][attachment=2:1nxruhg7]Schermafdruk-1.png[/attachment:1nxruhg7][attachment=1:1nxruhg7]Schermafdruk-2.png[/attachment:1nxruhg7][attachment=0:1nxruhg7]Schermafdruk-3.png[/attachment:1nxruhg7]

desmoerick, Apr 3, 2009
  13. desmoerick

solpuerto

Hi erick

Thanks for the screen shots and they confirm that your permissions are the same as mine. As you are the Owner/User of the files on the SD card you should have full access to them. As a test I tried to change the permissions of Root on my SD card and I was not able to do it either.
    I do not think that permission is anything to do with your problem.

Looking at the Folders shown in your first screen shot and then your last screen shot you had the SD card in the right hand slot when you made all of them? If it was in the left hand slot the first screen shot should have contained the folders from the last. Can you confirm this?

I notice on the first screen shot you have a small icon against the Pictures folder in the left hand pane that I do not have against mine, what is it?

solpuerto, Apr 4, 2009
  14. desmoerick

desmoerick

Everybody thanks for the effort!

Because of the idea's everybody gave on this forum I tried something else.

I went into sudo thunar and changed every group ond the SD card to "adm". Than I needed to change everything into read and write en copy all the files that we're marked as not changable into the SSD.

Now I am able to change anything I want, just like before. I took the SD card out and formatted it in my camera and putted it back in the AAO.(Didn't know how to do it in the AAO :oops: )

Everything seems to be ok for now. :roll:

If anything else pop's up, I'll let you know!

Thanks!

desmoerick, Apr 5, 2009
  15. desmoerick

solpuerto

Hi erick

Glad to know you have got everything working again. There has been a few people had similar problems to you but I do not think we have been able to find out why.

Best wishes.

solpuerto, Apr 5, 2009
  16. desmoerick

pwagner

I'm having the same problems with the same setup (AAO 110 with 512mb RAM / 8gig SSD and SanDisk UltraII 8gb expansion). It is like the SD card has become read only and when inserted into the left slot I can only view files in the view:advanced mode under Thunar.

If I press Alt+F2, run xterm, then enter "sudo thunar", then insert the SD card into the left or right slot I get the following message to the console:
    thunar-volman: No property info.capabilities on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_197b_2381_mmc_host_mmc_card_rca36836.

Does anyone else get this warning and could it help shed light on the problem?

pwagner, Apr 9, 2009
Ask a Question