Notes on some AOA110/150 Modifications

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by jerryt, Apr 20, 2009.

1. jerryt

jerryt

Broadcom HD Decoder card BCM970012 or BCM70012
    Video decoder card which provides Hardware Acceleration of video.

Thanks to Ashram
    Drivers
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... ct=3943766

Arcsoft Broadcom version of TotalMedia
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... ct=3943766

Comfirmed working in WiFi slot of AOA150 with Arcsoft application and driver above.

Comfirmed working in Windows 7 Media Center when "Broadcom Video Decoder" is selected as the default video codec with the "Media Center Decoder Utility" (MCDU) tool by Gary Whittaker.

Comfirmed working as Video decoder for HiDef ATSC live TV using an internal Pinnacle 80e (HD Mini Stick) tuner
    Installed "Direct Show Filter Mangaer", increased "Broadcom Video Decoder" merit value from "Do Not Use" to "Normal".
    Installed DvbViewer Pro ($15.00) Any directshow TV program should work provided you can select Broadcom Video Decoder. (Except WatchTV, which has a pixelation breakup problem).
    Selected "Broadcom Video Decoder" as Video codec.
    De-selected "Use new tuning method", scan for channels.
    HD live TV without dropped frames at 40% CPU.

jerryt, Aug 9, 2009
  2. jerryt

tim292stro

[Deleted]

tim292stro, Aug 10, 2009
  3. jerryt

ashram

crap... i left my netbook at home today... that sounds like an AWESOME option..... it makes media center 100% more useful!

ashram, Aug 10, 2009
  4. jerryt

ashram

using mdcu on win7 gives me a media center crash when tuning live video.

but using a hauppauge 950q, i get smooth video already.... it could just be the difference in tuners (pinnacle's usb stuff tends to be more dependant on the cpu in my experience)

ashram, Aug 19, 2009
  5. jerryt

jerryt

Win 7 Media Center crashes for me also on live TV. Scans channels in setup just fine but when it goes to build the playback graph for live TV it crashes. I tried to switch back to the Microsoft codec being set as default with MDCU, but it still crashes. I may have to reinstall Win 7 to try again.

I have many different USB TV tuners. While most of the video from the tuners are smooth, they all appear to get jerky with high bit rate 1080. The Broadcom card fixes that problem while lowering the CPU from 80% back down to 38%.

On a different note - Could not get my third add-in mPCIe slot to work. Used a 881u mPCIe adapter wired in the 6 PCI bus wires from the daughter board connector, 5 volt power and ground. and slot does not show up at all. I know the 1.5 volt power is missing but I decided to give up on adding the third mPCIe slot. I bought an internal USB wifi board so the Broadcom card can stay in the WiFi slot.

Also - Came up with a Kick A$$ "Touchscreen Internal Stylus Holder" modification. I am doing my second Stylus installation now and should post instructions and pictures soon.

jerryt, Aug 19, 2009
  6. jerryt

ashram

i get the graph, and on a station with no signal it's fine (no signal error), but the second i hear the audio kick in.... BAM, crash.

Broadcom should release a reference driver, so this card can be standardized.

also, considering touchscreen here.... after playing with a school bus yellow dell mini (ugly as hell, and thick, but it comes with a built in touchscreen)

lastly, you may know... do any of the touchscreens support multi-touch in windows 7?

ashram, Aug 19, 2009
  7. jerryt

jerryt

Not that I know of.

jerryt, Aug 19, 2009
  8. jerryt

TRUTI

Touchscreens are different from "Multi -Touch" screens. Touchscreen panels take one finger / stylus input only at a time whereas Multitouch as teh name suggests takes multiple. I am not sure of a multi touch enabled screen for the AOA.

TRUTI, Sep 10, 2009
  9. jerryt

tim292stro

[Deleted]

tim292stro, Sep 18, 2009
  10. jerryt

jerryt

I was trying to wire in a full PCI bus Mini PCIe slot. USB was not the problem, it was the PCI bus connections. The idea was to use the slot for a Broadcom Decoder card.

jerryt, Sep 18, 2009
  11. jerryt

tim292stro

[Deleted]

tim292stro, Sep 18, 2009
  12. jerryt

jerryt

I was using the daughter board harness for the wires, they are not shielded. I never wired the 1.5 volt source, so that must have been the problem. I would have taken the 1.5 volts from the 3G connector, but I have moved on to other projects.

jerryt, Sep 18, 2009
  13. jerryt

tim292stro

[Deleted]

tim292stro, Sep 19, 2009
  14. jerryt

acer2009

Has anyone else got the Broadcom Crystal HD card with a tv turner? if so how?

acer2009, Oct 30, 2009
  15. jerryt

jerryt

The card installs a Directshow filter with a merit value of "Do not use", once you increase the merit value to "Normal". The card's directshow filter will be available by any program which can use directshow filters. Simply pick a TV program which allows you to change the Directshow filter for video. DVBviewer is just one program which allows you to select Video directshow filters and also works with most hardware. These are the step by step instructions.

1) Installed "Direct Show Filter Mangaer", increased "Broadcom Video Decoder" merit value from "Do Not Use" to "Normal".
    2) Installed DvbViewer Pro ($15.00) Any directshow TV program should work provided you can select Broadcom Video Decoder. (Except WatchTV, which has a pixelation breakup problem).
    3) Selected "Broadcom Video Decoder" as Video codec.
    4) De-selected "Use new tuning method", scan for channels.
    5) HD live TV without dropped frames at 40% CPU.

jerryt, Oct 30, 2009
  16. jerryt

acer2009

Most of the tv programs in my country are in mgeg2 so will this method still work?

acer2009, Oct 31, 2009
  17. jerryt

jerryt

The card does not seem to accelerate mpeg2 files. so I don't know.

jerryt, Oct 31, 2009
  18. jerryt

acer2009

Ok, I did all this. But DvbView Pro always crashes when the broadcom decoder is selected. Did you get this problem? Which version of DvbViewer you using? Also the Brodcom drivers your using are they straight from the hp web site?

acer2009, Nov 1, 2009
  19. jerryt

jerryt

No, try the Arcsoft application. Try building a graph in Graphedit with broadcom decoder. Did you change the merit value?
    Whatever version was available a couple of months ago, he has older version in the download section.

Yes

jerryt, Nov 1, 2009
  20. jerryt

acer2009

Arcsoft theater works perfect for hd playback. Yes I change the merit value to normal. The error is retlated to this ModName: bcmdfilterns.dll. Do you know how I can fix this?

acer2009, Nov 1, 2009
Ask a Question