Now speaking through a broken notebook

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by grif, Nov 7, 2008.

1. grif

grif

Basically, i went into college with my aspire one notebook. When i went into first lesson i opened up the screen just to see that it was cracked in half.

I imagine this isnt covered in the warranty. So how much would a screen replacement be? Would it just be easier to buy a new notebook?

(I havent yet looked at the warranty, i am typing this while on my break in college)

grif, Nov 7, 2008
  2. grif

daldred

Sounds like accidental damage; does your student possessions insurance not cover it?

daldred, Nov 7, 2008
  3. grif

grif

I dont believe we have that here in the UK. Not for college at least, maybe at university.

grif, Nov 7, 2008
  4. grif

dirk

If you were covered for accidental damage, then you'd know about it (because it'd cost).

The best thing to do will be to purchase a new laptop. Keep the one with the broken screen for use as a headless server, or a desktop connected to an external lcd all the time.

dirk, Nov 7, 2008
  5. grif

daldred

Do you have normal household insurance of any sort? Often it includes accidental damage some sort of cover for possessions taken out of the house.

daldred, Nov 7, 2008
  6. grif

Infected24

Call an Acer's Service Center near your location and ask for a new LCD Screen's price. At least, you will have an idea about how much it would cost.

Infected24, Nov 9, 2008
  7. grif

melhiore

Check also Bank Account insurance if you have any. My one is covering valuables carried on me out of house - mobile phones, laptops etc...

melhiore, Nov 9, 2008
  8. grif

eddyl

I have a similar issue with my AA1, the screen has cracks inside (the outside looks normal), and I called customer service in US, the guy told me that normal warranty does not cover the screen (it really doesn't matter if it's user error or manufacturer defect), if i send it in for fix, the repair dept might charge me $600 US (while new one cost less than $400), and in order to have it fix, I need to have "Acer Total Protection" which is $200 for additional 2 years (so make ur warranty for total of 3 years), and you can have one major repair per year (which means if the screen or other major stuff damaged twice a year, you are out of luck)

I like my AA1, but I was very disappointed with Acer's policy and practice.

Eddy

eddyl, Jan 10, 2009
  9. grif

meng

Sounds like I should get myself a decent bag to tote my One to and from work.

meng, Jan 10, 2009
Ask a Question