o2 3G dongle difficulties

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fatherdougal, Nov 23, 2008.

1. fatherdougal

fatherdougal

Hi all, I'm trying to get an o2 dongle that is using a chipset provided be novatel, the 930d running on my linpus ssd one. I have the O/S fully updated and the 'mobile partner' addition installed.

My problem is that because the stick has 30mb of internal memory it can't see the device as a modem, only as storage. I've tried ejecting it under file manager, updated the dongle to the latest version and still no joy. If I continue to have problems then I will try to return it under the cooling off period and get one that is more easily used under linpus.

Anyone got one of these working, or have any advice?

fatherdougal, Nov 23, 2008
  2. fatherdougal

fatherdougal

Right, I think that usb_modeswitch is probably the answr to my problems. I can't seem to find it though. Can anyone confirm for me whether the site is down, or been removed? Anyone know of anywhere else to get it?

3. fatherdougal

Japser

From the modeswitch-website:
    so, simply 'ejecting' the 'cdrom' should do it, no need for usb-modeswitch.
    The product-number reported by the command "lsusb" should change from 5010 (cdrom) to 4400 (modem).

BUT, the 930d is not supported by the version of the 'option'-module in the current Acer-Linpus (kernelversion 2.6.23).
    Newer kernel-versions have it (2.6.27).

I have made a list of devices that can be expected to work in the current version of the One:
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4435

--Japser.

Japser, Nov 23, 2008
  4. fatherdougal

fatherdougal

under the current kernal it does switch after ejection, under lsusb, but isn't functional. Anyone have any idea when the kernal could be updated or whether I would be better off switching distros?

5. fatherdougal

Japser

You might pull in the newest kernel-source and compile it using the existing configuration.
    That should not break anything and make your dongle usable.
    But you need to know how to do that.

Another distro might help, but do not underestimate the issues, particularly with the 8gb SSD, Acer and Linpus have made quite an effort to make this thing working.

--Japser.

Japser, Nov 24, 2008
Ask a Question