.ods files

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Winfried, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Winfried

Winfried

I am using mandriva 2010 One since a couple of days.
    I have open office files with the extension ".ods" to be opened by the calc programme; however, when I double click in the file browser on such a file I get a message, that this is an executable text file-obviously nonsense.
    When I right click and choose under "other applications" the proper openoffice calc programme, it opens correctly.

From that moment on the file browser should know that an .ods file is an open office file to be opened by the calc programme.
    However, when I next time double click on the file in the browser I again get the message that this is an executable text file.

It seems, that the browser does not execute the correct action and does not enter into the data type file the information, that .ods files have to be opened by openoffice calc.

How can that be repaired? It seems to be a Nautilus problem.

Winfried, Jun 14, 2010
  2. Winfried

RockDoctor

Near the bottom of the Open With dialog, there should be a checkbox with a label something like Remember this application for ods files. Be sure to check the box if it's unchecked.

RockDoctor, Jun 15, 2010
  3. Winfried

Winfried

Thanks for this advice, Rockdoctor. (and the others on the USB stick; I am still working on them will report in the other thread)
    Unfortunately I am using the German version of Mandriva.
    No there is no checkbox
    It says in the header, that my document and all other docs should be opened with the programme I choose
    then there is a programme list
    at the bottom of the window there is the option to choose a userselected command
    but no checkbox.
    Sorry
    It seems there are slight differences in the language versions.
    Maybe I should put this thread into the German Mandriva forum, if there is one?

Winfried, Jun 15, 2010
  4. Winfried

RockDoctor

I was looking at my Fedora installation when I gave my reply; I don't currently have Mandriva installed. Although the GUI may be different between distros, I'd expect it to be consistent within one distro, even for different languages. I'd definitely try one of the Mandriva forums

RockDoctor, Jun 16, 2010
  5. Winfried

Winfried

Thanks. I will do so

Winfried, Jun 16, 2010
Ask a Question