Oh my God - another newbie ...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by GighaTec, Jul 28, 2009.

1. GighaTec

GighaTec

Yeah yeah - another one here. Been browsing these forums a while and picking up lots of hints, but what is apparent to me is that I am going to get nowhere without a decent amount of background Linux reading. I have a Unix grouding from 20 years ago, Jesus is it really that long ago, and a good grounding in PC techiness. Been meaning to make the jump for ages, have messed abount with Ubuntu on a spare PC but never really committed. So, bought he A110 - cracking piece of kit, blunted by failing to connect wirelessly on a random basis - reboot and its fine???? - and I am going to learn Linux if it kills me!!

So, I am not going to beg for specific tech advice on how to do x, y and z - merely can anyone recommend a book or website that I can immerse myself in and generally get up to speed.

Thanks in advance

GighaTec, Jul 28, 2009
  2. GighaTec

RockDoctor

Welcome.

First things first - make sure you've got a viable backup before you mess around. Linpus is fine if you're going to stick with the gui, but if you want to delve deeper, I'd recommend going with a different distro; one for which a halfway decent book exists. The differences between Linux distros aren't that great, just large enough to be annoying. There's a Fedora Linux Bible and an UbuntuLinuxBible, both of which seem to be pretty good. With their 6-month release cycles, both Fedora (current release Fedora 11) and Ubuntu (current release 9.04) tend to outpace the relevant editions of their "Bibles." A Bible one no more than one release out of date is probably a good starting point.

HTH

RockDoctor, Jul 29, 2009
  3. GighaTec

GighaTec

Cheers Rock Man

I have created a recovery USB and have no data on the netbook at all so a full reset back to system start would be fine and I am assuming thats what the USB offers. SO, as a relative newbie, is an install of Fedora 8 a big step or do-able? I will start having a look at creating a USB Fedora 8 and try and put that on.

Thanks

GighaTec, Jul 29, 2009
  4. GighaTec

RockDoctor

Fedora 8 is way beyond end-of-life, so you won't have the latest and greatest, many repositories are gone, and no more updates -security or otherwise.

Fedora 10 might be a good compromise if you're ging the Fedora route (I keep an updated version on my Aspire One's HDD as an insurance policy). Everything I've tried works, and I don't recall having to do any tweaking, and books are available,

RockDoctor, Jul 29, 2009
Ask a Question