OneLinux..Any success?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JoaoMachado, Oct 10, 2008.

1. JoaoMachado

JoaoMachado

http://onelinux.org/

I found this project from the Ubuntu Forums, it appears that the sound module is the only hang up on the Ubuntu forums, does anyone know if this project solved that?

Also, anyone know how fast does it boot?

I got my Linpus working good on my A1, hate to wipe it clean just to see how it would work?

Side note: anyway to work off of a USB drive as a HD, read/write?

Joao

JoaoMachado, Oct 10, 2008
  2. JoaoMachado

rbil

Backup your Linpus system to a 4 or 8 GB flash key and then you can play all you want with other distros since it becomes just a question of 20 to 30 minutes to restore your system from the backup. Read more in the recovery section of this forum or read my blog. One thing to note ... if you're going to install Ubuntu from the LiveCD, do the hard drive configuration manually so that you have your hard drive formatted ext2 as opposed to ext3 which is the default way for that automatic install. SSD drives (nor any memory drives) shouldn't be using a journaled file system like ext3.

I've put OneLinux on my Acer and it is quite nice. Didn't play around long enough to see whether all works. It takes about 1.5 minutes to boot.

If you don't want to actually install Ubuntu on your SSD drive, you can always just run it as a LiveCD. This way however, you lose all changes you might have done when you shut off the computer.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 10, 2008
  3. JoaoMachado

zaphod

Check out the pendrivelinux.com website. I used the approach there to get a persistent Kubuntu USB stick working.

zaphod, Oct 10, 2008
  4. JoaoMachado

donec

I have been using Onelinux beta 1 every since it came out and have not had any problems with it but the sad thing is that it is no longer available for download as the creator has had too many pushy request from users that expect him to drop everything for them. This has understandably disappointed him so I am not sure he will continue with it we will just have to wait and see.

donec, Oct 10, 2008
  5. JoaoMachado

logicalfrank

Anyone know of somewhere to download the beta other than the main site, perhaps a torrent somewhere? Some quick Googling didn't find anything.

One alternative to this is Eee PC Ubuntu Netbook Remix, discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4768

It's all Ubuntu-based but this Eee PC version has the Netbook Remix desktop which I really just find to be awkward. Only takes a few steps to get it to a normal, nice-looking desktop though. Working reasonably well out of box for me so far.

logicalfrank, Oct 10, 2008
  6. JoaoMachado

donec

I am trying to upload a copy of Onelinux beta 1 to my sight but since it is a big file I don't know if it will work. If it does then I will send a link to you if you pm me and the link will only be available for a short time due to band width issues.

Sorry but the upload said the file was too big for my server so I have no way I know if to supply a link to a Onelinux-beta-1.iso image.

donec, Oct 11, 2008
  7. JoaoMachado

logicalfrank

Oh well, perhaps it's best to respect the creators' wishes anyway. I'm excited to check it out if they do ever get another version out though.

logicalfrank, Oct 14, 2008
  8. JoaoMachado

anixon

One Linux is total vaporware. If the guy didn't have the time or resources to complete the task in a timely manner he shouldn't have hyped it up and it shouldn't be such a popular thing that everyone is waiting for. It seems he likely had no roadmap or idea if/when he could accomplish it when he started. Perhaps he thought by pushing the product he would build interest and other people would help take on the project... but anyways it's a joke. By the time onelinux is even close to functional, all the major players will probably have a their FULLY functional netbook distros out already. :geek:

anixon, Oct 15, 2008
  9. JoaoMachado

hkalnes

According to the OneLinux blog, there'll be a new ISO later this week: http://onelinux.org/blog/index.cgi/status/third.html

I'm using Ubuntu eee Netbook Remix now, and most stuff actually works (some sound problems). But I have good hopes that OneLinux NBR edition will be even better with everything working out of the box. We should be supporting the initiative, in stead of spending hours and hours tweaking our own more or less working installations.

Looking forward to it!

EDIT: Corrected URL to point directly to the actual post,

hkalnes, Oct 15, 2008
  10. JoaoMachado

donec

Why don't you just forget about Onelinux. Since you have such strong anti feelings about it. I am using it and it works great for me. I for one realize a man may want to create something for free and all these people think they are paying for it and so they have the right to make demands. Well when it is free then no one has the right to make demands all they have a right to do is say thank you.

donec, Oct 16, 2008
  11. JoaoMachado

dreniac

So true. I still use the beta version and tweaked it only a bit (kernel upgrade and remix install). Works fine for me as has for 6 weeks now (I don't use standby or such, why even bother when it starts within 30secs anyhow...)
    Main reason NOT to use "FULLY functional netbook distros" is that it contains all the drivers for all brand netbooks around, so it will install on all Winds, EEEs, Ones and such. A distro specific for usage with the Aspire One will be allot smaller in size and loads allot faster and that is, I think, the main philosofy behind the OneLinux project.
    I hope they will publish a new ISO this weekend, so I can play around with it :mrgreen:

dreniac, Oct 17, 2008
  12. JoaoMachado

donec

Yes that would be nice.

donec, Oct 17, 2008
  13. JoaoMachado

mh-

It's hardly vapourware just because there's been no updates for a month or so. Not even commercial products come out with new releases once a week, and open source/hobby projects may not show much progress for over a year without being abandoned.

Did he really hype it that much? What's wrong with announcing "I've got this new project planned" in the relevant forums?

So maybe he's not an experienced project manager? It's a *hobby* project you know.

That would make sense. Maintaining a distribution on your own isn't an easy task, especially if you've got no previous experience. But is that really his fault? I'd say the people who wanted to use it and didn't get involved and help out are the ones to blame. Especially the ones bitching and complaining.

Could be, but there's always room for tweaks.

Then again, he could very well abandon the entire project. People with your attitude are what kills the fun for spare-time OSS-developers.

mh-, Oct 18, 2008
  14. JoaoMachado

donec

There is not a fully functional OS on the market Windows or Linux.

donec, Oct 19, 2008
  15. JoaoMachado

hkalnes

Bad news! Tiago has just announced that his project has been discontinued (see http://onelinux.org). :cry:

I'll stick to Ubuntu eee for now, and see what happens after Ubuntu 8.10 is released.

hkalnes, Oct 22, 2008
  16. JoaoMachado

Oliver

Really annoyed about this.
    Last week he announced that he would be releasing a new version today + i have seen a few people on here say it supports all hardware.

Oliver, Oct 23, 2008
  17. JoaoMachado

warshy

:(
    i was so excited about it too
    anyone have an upload to the beta he was finalizing?
    or any easy to install netbook oriented os suggestions?

warshy, Oct 23, 2008
  18. JoaoMachado

hkalnes

I have installed Ubuntu eee (http://www.ubuntu-eee.com), which comes with Netbook Remix and is very nice. Only issues I've come across after 2 weeks are sound related: No sound after suspend/resume, and no mics are working. Just remember to partition manually using ext2. I also had to comment out the CD-ROM entries in /etc/fstab to be able to mount USB keys. There's another thread about this distro here: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4768

hkalnes, Oct 24, 2008
Ask a Question