onelinux install time

Discussion in 'Linux' started by scottw22, Sep 13, 2008.

1. scottw22

scottw22

I've read on ubuntu usb drive install guides that the file copy process takes a long time. However I'm sitting at 4 hours now and the install process has only made it to 60%. It does keep creeping up but it's certainly in no hurry. Is this fairly typical or am I caught in a crc?

On a side note, it seems as though the members of the onelinux team on irc actively ignore anyone who doesn't speak binary. :(

scottw22, Sep 13, 2008
  2. scottw22

scottro

That doesn't sound right. I don't remember how long it took, but I don't think it was anywhere near 4 hours.
    I haven't gone to their irc channel, but you have to remember, sometimes people show as logged on and aren't really there.

scottro, Sep 13, 2008
  3. scottw22

scottw22

Thanks. I figured something was up. As for the irc thing, nobody was on at the time but a couple of the ops and they were pretty distracted with kernel work.

scottw22, Sep 13, 2008
  4. scottw22

dreniac

Don't be to hard on those guys, it is still in Beta.
    Although moving hard to getting it to Release Candidate.
    I guess they want to get things first before getting into troubleshooting single problems.

The install process took me about 40 minutes with a 2 year old USB 1GB stick.
    Created under Ubuntu on another laptop with UnetBootin as described in the installationguide.

Check if you have the latest image posted today: http://onelinux.org/download/beta/ and use the MD5 file to check if the download is not corrupt.
    BTW does it boot to the "LiveCD"?

dreniac, Sep 13, 2008
  5. scottw22

Tavel

onelinux is just delicious. everything works out of the box...i guess they reached their goal.

the install took about 20 minutes on the SSD. Definitely not anywhere close to 4 hours. I would try downloading the very latest version and try again. I downloaded mine today and it works great.

Tavel, Sep 14, 2008
  6. scottw22

scottw22

I tried a couple more times with fresh downloads, checked md5sums, reformatted and error scanned drives and each time the install process would completely lock up about halfway through and the livecd's desktop would crash. I'm not sure what the problem ultimately was but it was back to linpus for me.

scottw22, Sep 14, 2008
  7. scottw22

woofer00

just curious - have you tried a new flash drive? they typically don't go bad, but when they're hosed they never let you know.

woofer00, Sep 15, 2008
  8. scottw22

scottw22

I only have the one drive. Brand new 4gb kingston. It did the linpus recovery fairly quickly. I'm going to give up on this one for the time being as my current work week doesn't leave much time to tinker.

scottw22, Sep 15, 2008
  9. scottw22

XE1UFO

I tried the Onelinux and the Live CD started up o.k. I was able to connect the WiFi. BUT neither the desktop Install Icon nor the Install command in administration tab produced any response. Rats! :cry:

XE1UFO, Sep 16, 2008
  10. scottw22

Syco54645

Standard ubuntu took me about two hours. We have stripped quite alot from oneLinux, so it should take much less time. I have yet to install it, still working the last bit of issues out on the kernel. My ubuntu install is toast, but I will wait till I get everything working 100% so that I dont hose another install.

Syco54645, Sep 16, 2008
  11. scottw22

dreniac

You could try to install from the bootscreen...its the 3rd or 4th option as I recall.

BTW with the "liveCD" wireless worked out-of-the-box. After install the Atheros support driver says it is not in use.
    The bug is already reported: http://onelinux.org/wiki/index.php/PITS/00003
    I will try the suggested kernel update tonight...fingers crossed :lol:

dreniac, Sep 16, 2008
  12. scottw22

dada1958

Installation of onelinux here takes longer, much longer than two hours, the progression bar is at 56% now.

dada1958, Sep 16, 2008
  13. scottw22

dreniac

Excellent work, its allot faster now with the new kernel and behold after a reboot Wifi worked :)

So what to do if I want to (re)add modules (like for my DVB-T USB Stick), do I need to install the development tools?
    I tried copying the needed ko files to the new kernel, but this was not accepted at module load. (ofcourse compiled for the default kernel, but tried it anyway)
    I prefer to keep the install clean, do you actually compile on the One or are you using some kind of virtual image or on a PC or so?

dreniac, Sep 17, 2008
Ask a Question