Open Office 3.0

Discussion in 'Linux' started by StickyGecko, Sep 15, 2008.

1. StickyGecko

StickyGecko

Hey guys,

Just a quick question; hopefully the latest Open Office suite of programs will be out this month (3.0) and I for one will be quite keen to upgrade to the latest version... is that going to be easy enough on my beasty AAO?

Relatively speaking I am a Linux noob, done a few little things in terminal but nothing too major...

Apologies if this has been posted before!! Any pointers appreciated!

StickyGecko, Sep 15, 2008
  2. StickyGecko

Grim Squeaker

Probably it will be possible to update with yum - and therefor easy.

Some tweaks will probably be required to do it perfectly though - the icons for instance would most likely be replaced by a low res version, so those would have to be backed up beforehand.

Grim Squeaker, Sep 15, 2008
  3. StickyGecko

BlackLagoon

Sadly, the AAO's linux is based on the year old Fedora 8 release. It's been superseded by version 9 out and now 10 is on its way, so it's unlikely we'll be seeing any new major software upgrades from Fedora (you'll note they still haven't updated to 2.4). However, Acer does specifically mention that Open Office is one of the application that could be upgraded through the Live Update function, so we might still get it "the easy way".

BlackLagoon, Sep 15, 2008
Ask a Question