Open Office 3

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Destroyer, May 21, 2009.

1. Destroyer

Destroyer

Does anyone have a set of instructions I could use to install Open Office 3?

Don't refer me to macles, because his/her set of instructions is bull**** and doesn't work. I had to recover my AAO because of those stupid instructions. I got to the part where OO was uninstalled and then tried the two-line downloader and combiner, and it did nothing. I tried the first line of code and it downloaded. Then the second code wouldn't work. No idea what to do after that, and of course macles had no remedy for it.

I need help from someone who actually knows what they're doing and doesn't provide a set of instructions assuming that the installation process will occur the same way for every single person.

I'm also seriously considering trashing Linpus altogether and putting XP on somehow, because I'm tired of having to input commands to install crap. It's tedious and annoying when something goes wrong and there's no listed remedy for the situation. If anyone knows a successful way to replace Linpus with XP via a USB flash drive, please pm me.

Destroyer, May 21, 2009
  2. Destroyer

melhiore

Do so. You'll save your and our time...

melhiore, May 21, 2009
  3. Destroyer

Destroyer

Thanks for the useless post. Reported.

Anyone have any constructive suggestions?

Destroyer, May 21, 2009
  4. Destroyer

Destroyer

This post can be closed.

For future reference:

If you install WINE [go to Terminal (ALT + F2 then check "Run in terminal" box and click Run) and type "yum install wine" and hit Enter] and then download OpenOfficePortable onto a USB or SD/SDHC card you can essentially run OpenOffice3 (which is designed for Windows) using the WINE emulator. Best part is it's not actually on your SSD, and all the files it needs to run are all in one easy location. You can also update later easier since you can just delete the old file and install the new one.

Hope this helps any people who run into this problem in the future.

Destroyer, May 22, 2009
  5. Destroyer

Tamrac

Actually, I've read alot of posts (not on this forum) that the macles method for installing Open Office 3 does work. Try going to the open office forums, most likely your problem will be answered there as well.

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/

Tamrac, May 22, 2009
  6. Destroyer

pling

No, it's not. ****You were downloading the wrong version.*** The version you want for Linux is.. the Linux one. Rather than... the Windows one. Sorry to get technical on you.

pling, May 22, 2009
  7. Destroyer

Destroyer

I intentionally downloaded the wrong version since the only available version for OpenOfficePortable is for Windows. Since WINE is capable of emulating Windows programs, you can essentially run OpenOffice3Portable from an SDHC card/USB flash drive without any problems. I've tried this myself. I ran OpenOffice3Portable from my 8gb SanDisk SDHC card in the memory expansion slot and saved a spreadsheet directly to the SSD.

I was forced to do this because the macles installation guide on how to remove OO2 and replace with OO3 is flawed somehow. I followed the instructions to the letter and only worked up to the point where OO2 was uninstalled.

I hope this clarifies what I was trying to explain earlier.

Recap: Run OO3Portable for Windows (by emulating Windows using WINE) from an SD/SDHC card or USB flash drive.

Destroyer, May 24, 2009
Ask a Question