Opening installed programs

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bazz1249, Sep 10, 2008.

1. bazz1249

bazz1249

Done a few searchs and cant find the answer to my Q. Ive had my AAO for a few days now and am planning on taking it to Uni to work on but to use their network you need to have a Anti Virus. Ive put the Avast on mine, but cant find the shortcut to open the actual program. Anyone any ideas

Cheers Ant

bazz1249, Sep 10, 2008
  2. bazz1249

dirkjan82

I've got kinda the same issue, not with an anti-virus though.
    I did install the Wine core (version 1.something), but somehow I cannot seem to run *.exe files. The "Open with..." option doesn't show wine, and I don't know where it's installed. Nor do I know where to find wine and run the programs from wine.
    In Ubuntu (on my desktop) this was not a problem at all.

dirkjan82, Sep 11, 2008
  3. bazz1249

Grim Squeaker

wine is in the "start" menu (known as the "advanced menu" for people that did not get rid of the kiddy desktop), under other.

It is however easier to just use the console - the presence of a powerful console after all is one of the biggest advantages of linux over windows.

Grim Squeaker, Sep 11, 2008
  4. bazz1249

bazz1249

Did the xfce code in the terminal and made it so i can right click on the desktop and can open my programs now.

bazz1249, Sep 12, 2008
Ask a Question