Opening Microsoft Office Files in Open Office

Discussion in 'Linux' started by OtfordTony, Jan 30, 2009.

1. OtfordTony

OtfordTony

I am a relative newbie but I am enjoying being microsoft free and have managed to do a lot with the help of this forum.

I have managed to access my network drive using Dolphin and can see all of the files but I can't open them by just double clicking. I can use them by copying them onto the AA1 hard drive and then opening them using the appropriate bit of Open Office (I'm using 2.4 at the moment). But when I double click, for instance an Excel file, I get a dialogue box which says "Open using". It obviously wants a reference ot the right software but whatever I try doesn't work.

How do I put the right software name in to get it to work? Do I also have to put the location in? Where are the applications hidden in the Linpus file system?

Very grateful for any help.

Tony

OtfordTony, Jan 30, 2009
  2. OtfordTony

kpenrose

/usr/bin/soffice and select the check box to do the same for all files of this type. The problem may be that in looking at the file over the network, it can't tell what type of file it is.

kpenrose, Feb 6, 2009
  3. OtfordTony

OtfordTony

Thanks kpenrose

I found the programme name at /usr/bin/. I have upgraded to Open Office 3 but the name was apparent.

Even though I checked the box to remember this for all files of this sort it doesn't work. As you say probably has problems over the network. It remembers file names in the drop down list so at least you don't have to retype it every time.

Thanks again

Tony

:D

OtfordTony, Feb 7, 2009
  4. OtfordTony

solpuerto

Hi
    I had exactly the same problem with Dolphin and had the same kind of queries as you, eventually gave up and installed Konqueror/Kdebase. No problem in seeing and opening any files and it all just happened with no setup.
    There are problems with Open Office recognising the latest MSOffice file formats but as you say you have upgraded to 3 that should not now be the cause for you.

Best wishes

solpuerto, Feb 7, 2009
  5. OtfordTony

OtfordTony

Thanks solpuerto

Konqueror is definitely the answer. Just installed it and it took a little time to work out how to connect to my network drive. After that it has been very, very easy.

Tony :D

OtfordTony, Feb 8, 2009
Ask a Question