Opening programs from Add/remove

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bazz1249, Sep 19, 2008.

1. bazz1249

bazz1249

Ive done the advanced xfce stuff and that worked for some stuff i installed as it appeared in the lists, but i recently installed some stuff from the add/remove app and i cant open the tings i have installed. Ive found the files but when i try to open them it wont let me. Ive never used linux before so its a bit foreign to me having used windows since i can remember. I know theres a way to open them from terminal but dont really know how.

cheers

Ant

bazz1249, Sep 19, 2008
  2. bazz1249

daldred

If they are applications which run graphically, then they are likely to have added themselves to your xfce menu; Linux apps usually do that automatically.

If they aren't, you need to start a terminal (either from the xfce menu or by using something like 'My Documents' and starting a terminal from the File menu) and launch them from there. The command to launch a non-graphical application is usually fairly similar to the first part of the name of the package (so if you've installed prog-1.0.5-i386-smp3 then the command is likely to be 'prog').

If you can be a bit more specific about what's been installed it may be easier to help!

daldred, Sep 19, 2008
  3. bazz1249

rbil

Typically apps are installed in /usr/bin or a link is placed in /usr/bin to where the app actually resides. So opening a terminal and just typing in the app name should run it. Or doing ALT-F2 and entering the name should also launch it. That is because /usr/bin is in your PATH.

This doesn't always hold true, as some other apps may be placed elsewhere, such as under /opt. But that is usually not the case. System apps are in /sbin and this is not in the user space's PATH but in root's PATH.

HTH.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 19, 2008
  4. bazz1249

bazz1249

well,ive installed a firewall as my university says i have to have one to use their WLAN, its called shorewall

bazz1249, Sep 19, 2008
  5. bazz1249

daldred

http://www.shorewall.net/standalone.htm gives instructions for configuring Shorewall for a single Linux system, which is what you will want.

With Free/Open Source software, the website of the project is usually the best place to start in looking for instructions.

daldred, Sep 19, 2008
  6. bazz1249

rbil

Does it work considering iptables isn't even compiled into the kernel? Like they'd even know whether you had a firewall or not. They've probably got Windoze users in mind. :)

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 20, 2008
  7. bazz1249

bazz1249

All i have to do is show that i have one, i have an anti virus on it anyway to be honest. There just security freaks at my place

bazz1249, Sep 20, 2008
  8. bazz1249

rbil

If they were "security freaks" they'd be running Linux and leave all this silliness behind. :)

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 20, 2008
  9. bazz1249

kevin

What would they take as evidence? As rbil has said, no Linux firewall app will work on the One as it stands because the Linux kernel is missing the necessary bits. But you could just install firestarter or something and show them the start-up page. The fact that it won't do anything might be beside the point.

Personally, I think the lack of rudimentary firewall support in the one is a bit of a howler, like the lack of bluetooth support.

kevin, Sep 20, 2008
Ask a Question