OpenSuse's version of Moblin

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JimK, Aug 30, 2009.

1. JimK

JimK

The development team has released an installer image of Suse's Moblin -- they call it Goblin. You have to use the dd command to copy it to a USB drive then boot off the USB. Once you start the install process, it automatically repartitions your hard drive or SSD, erasing all your data. You can't create a custom partition scheme and you can't choose not to erase any part of the disk. Other than that, it's a pretty normal, straightforward Linux install.

The interface/desktop/whatever you won't to call it is the same as regular Moblin. Goblin has its own wallpaper, and they've added some of Suse's excellent admin tools. They've also used a theme that doesn't quite work. In Firefox, the words on the menu aren't visible (black on black). I fixed that by using a different theme. The only other problem I had was the installer created a 3gig swap partition. That's way too big for an 8gig SSD, so I used a Parted Magic USB to resize the swap to 1gig and the / partition to fill the usused space. By the way, the / partition was created as ext3, but it doesn't seem to put too big of a hit on performance.

Boot time is about 30 seconds from power button to full desktop. Wireless, sound and full-screen video all seem to work well.

You can download it from here:
    http://forgeftp.novell.com/moblin/raw/

JimK, Aug 30, 2009
Ask a Question