OpenVPN on Linpus

Discussion in 'Networking' started by waki, Nov 5, 2008.

1. waki

waki

Hi,

after many efforts to get another NetworkManager really working in my AAO, I tried it via Command Line and it works perfect. Did anyone succeed in installing a GUI for OpenVPN on standard Linpus?

cu
    Walter

waki, Nov 5, 2008
  2. waki

llondel

I installed kvpnc on my AA1 and have it working quite happily with OpenVPN. It's connected as I type.

It helps to have a working manual VPN setup with a valid conf file and set of keys that are root-accessible only.

I installed it from the convenient RPM at http://download.gna.org/kvpnc/kvpnc-0.9 ... 1.i386.rpm

You need to arrange to invoke it with "sudo kvpnc", otherwise it can't get to your keys. Import the existing OpenVPN config file, make sure the key paths are absolute because it will otherwise install verbatim whatever paths you have in the config file but doesn't necessarily start in the correct directory. Remember to save any changes and tell it to connect. If you've got a passphrase protecting the key then it should prompt for that phrase at this point (if it doesn't that's a big hint that you've got something wrong). On my system it always fails to connect to the management interface a couple of times, I'm guessing that when it invokes OpenVPN, the latter takes too long to load and I haven't found a timeout to change. Leave it for ten seconds or so and it should connect.

Now I just need to work out how to get it to play with pptp as well, still missing a few files for that one.

llondel, Nov 12, 2008
  3. waki

waki

Thanks llondel,

that's a nice looking GUI for OpenVPN and it's installing smoothly.

But I still have some issues.

I imported some profiles with the wizzard and could connect to the remote networks. But after a restart it didn't work any more. Looking in the profile, I found that it forgot that I use X509-certificates. The field was switched to 'Pre shared key".
    When I enabled X509-certificates, all fields were filled correctly and I could connect. Even explicitly saving the changes does not survive a restart. so I always have to switch that button.
    Where can I change this?

One of my connections only stays alive for 24 seconds. This is reproducable. Every time, I connect, it closes the connection after 24 seconds and then reconnects automatically. If you look in the log, all connections were 24s.
    Any ideas?

waki, Nov 12, 2008
Ask a Question