Opera 10b image rendering issues

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mailman1175, Jun 21, 2009.

1. mailman1175

mailman1175

Has anyone else noticed how grainy/pixelated Opera 10b is rendering many images? It's so bad on my machine that, if there's text embedded in an image, it's often illegible. Has anyone found a work-around, or are we just hoping they fix it before final release?

mailman1175, Jun 21, 2009
  2. mailman1175

mailman1175

Just figured it out: It's Turbo. Turn Turbo off, and all images render properly. Turn it back on, everything goes to crap again. I guess that kind of renders Turbo useless, doesn't it?

mailman1175, Jun 21, 2009
  3. mailman1175

Tamrac

Not really, what turbo does is find areas on the webpage that is compressible, so that it passed thru the connection much faster. One way is to drastically lower the graphics quality of images so that it zips along faster. TURBO mode is for those rare occasions wherein the internet connection is slow. It's not meant to accelerate the connection ALL the time. The image pixelization is normal, and is part of the reason how Turbo mode works. Cheers.

Tamrac, Jun 22, 2009
  4. mailman1175

mailman1175

My internet connection IS slow all the time. Download speeds average about 36kB/s (though burst speeds are around 1MB/s; they call it "high-speed", but throttle it back big time). That's why Turbo would be cool for me... but it's not worth it if it's going to make my surfing experience that poor. So, for me, it's useless.

mailman1175, Jun 22, 2009
  5. mailman1175

Tamrac

True, it's not for everybody. For those times you just need to read email or the news, and don't really care about pictures, then it's ok hehehe. I leave it off myself, does not really make much difference on my connection. 36Kb/s average? Ouch, that is slow.

Tamrac, Jun 22, 2009
Ask a Question