Option iCON 225 3G-modem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rHino, Jul 28, 2008.

1. rHino

rHino

I've just got my brand new Acer Aspire One and would like to get my Option iCON 225 3G-modem to work with it.
    I've earlier manager to install it and get it working with Ubuntu 8.04 but bcause I'm not so familiar with all these different linux distros, I now have problems to get it working with this Acer Aspire One - with aguess fedora8-based Linpus Linux.

I've been trying with this quide
    http://www.pharscape.org/component/opti ... bb93dd350/

to install hso-driver, rezero-utility, hsolink-controlutility and hsoconnect-application but having these problems for starting :

- needed to install make too
    - figuring out the kernel version with uname -a I got 2.6.23.9lw so how do I find kernel-devel of this version?
    installation utility just showed 2.6.25 -versions

could someone help?

rHino, Jul 28, 2008
  2. rHino

janss

I need to look into this myself too, cause I have the same 3G modem and I need it working with my One.

Have to see if I can get it working. If I do, I'll post here what it needed.

janss, Jul 29, 2008
  3. rHino

janss

I just spent some 3 hours with the iCon last night, and the bugger is not working...

Or I don't actually know what the heck is wrong... It actually seems that the hso-driver and rezero are allready pre-installed (hso v 1.1), but there's nothing in the system to use them with, which is kinda idiotic.

Next I'll have to try and install the Vodafone Connect -software which is a GUI for option modems, maybe that will help me... More work needed.

If anyone has any pointers with these, all help is appreciated :mrgreen:

janss, Aug 7, 2008
  4. rHino

lockwood

The "One" comes with the HSO driver pre-installed, so you don't need to install that one. The next thing you need to install with your software installer in advanced mode is "make" and "gcc". After that install "hsolinkcontrol" (your tutorial link tells you what to do and were to get the package).
    Now get the hsoconnect (gui) .rpm package and install it. You need to open the terminal after that and type in: "su" to switch to superuser.
    Then type in: python -m hsoc and the program will start.

I hope this crappy tutorial will help you :D

lockwood, Aug 7, 2008
  5. rHino

janss

Thanks for the tip mate, I'll test this as soon as I get home! :mrgreen:

janss, Aug 7, 2008
  6. rHino

janss

Damn, couldn't get the bugger working :(

I got the hsolinkcontrol and the GUI installed, and could run the GUI but it just won't connect.
    I start it from the command line as root, I can change settings and all but when I press Connect, it won't do a thing.

Any clue on what might cause that what can be done to fix it?

janss, Aug 8, 2008
  7. rHino

janss

IT WORKS!!!

Ok, so I got the damn thing working, I'm at the moment writing this reply on my One from a bus :mrgreen:

I made the debug-window open with the GUI and looked through it while trying to connect and then realised I had the "roaming warning" on, and since my operator (Saunalahti) is a virtual operator, these modems always think they are roaming. When I disabled the "roaming warning" and transfer limit (that one just because I don't need it) it found network and I could connect and now everything works fine and dandy!

Thanks to all for your help with this, I think the problem of iCon 225 in Linpus is solved.

janss, Aug 8, 2008
  8. rHino

lockwood

Nice to see it works!

I wrote the how-to in a car on the highway and my 3g modem works like a charm. Sadly I had no internet anymore while driving trough Germany, so I could not reply.

We should really get a Wiki for this stuff...

lockwood, Aug 10, 2008
  9. rHino

janss

Dude... That would be an excellent idea :geek:

/me writes a pm to KiNG and suggests him to open a Wiki

janss, Aug 11, 2008
Ask a Question