OS X on AA1 without DVD?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by karlsmith, Jun 27, 2009.

1. karlsmith

karlsmith

Hi there. Apols if this has been addressed before, but all the answers I've seen appear to be incomplete or problematic.

Has anyone put together (or seen?) a how-to for getting OS X on an AA1 without an external DVD drive? The closest I've seen was a guide for the xXx distro, but that sounded like it didn't work too well. It needs to be fairly basic, I'm afraid - I'm no expert at poking around in terminal and the like.

karlsmith, Jun 27, 2009
  2. karlsmith

uluf

This is probably not the answer you want to hear, but please consider:
    For a few dollars you can buy equipment to attach any spare DVD-R drive through USB and it will work fine for installing any kind of operating system. Consider what your own time is worth to you and you might even end up saving money. What you want to do is not impossible, but since you are not an expert at poking around in terminal you might be better off spending your time with something more enjoyable, like Photo Booth.

uluf, Jun 27, 2009
  3. karlsmith

karlsmith

Really, is it that hard?

I said I'm no expert, not that I've never done it or that I'm not game to try. Also, many of the more recent - and in some ways better - solutions seem to involve live disks - this would completely defeat the object for me, as I'm looking to keep the system portable.

Plus, frankly, I'm cheap. And Photo Booth's only fun for c.5 seconds.

karlsmith, Jun 27, 2009
  4. karlsmith

brushless

You're not alone ... I'm cheap also :oops:
    See my reply http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15507

brushless, Jun 27, 2009
  5. karlsmith

karlsmith

Thanks for that.

It looks like that's a live USB boot drive, rather than an actual install - am I right? I was hoping to do a proper install, because I don't want to have a thumb drive permanently hanging out of the side of my AA1. Unless the same procedure would work for an SD card?

karlsmith, Jun 27, 2009
  6. karlsmith

brushless

I apologize for my mistaking that link which actually installs OSX onto a USB stick :oops: .
    This youtube clip is exactly what you require: installing OSX from a USB stick

Good machacking :mrgreen:

brushless, Jun 27, 2009
  7. karlsmith

RussellF

Hi, I installed the iAtkos distro using this guide viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10197 and it worked great.

I used a 4GB USB drive, and prepared it using unetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

I messed around with all sorts of stuff to get it working, but I think in the end it was the unetbootin stuff that made it work. Try it and if you have problems, post a description of the errors here and hopefully someone will be able to help. You can't really break anything until you get a working installer USB, and at that point, the top link should guide you through.

RussellF, Jun 27, 2009
  8. karlsmith

karlsmith

Thanks. I've seen mention of Unetbootin elsewhere, and it seems to be Linux/Windows only. Is there anything that does the same job on OS X?

Oh, and - I've already downloaded the iAtkos v7 distro. Is there any reason not to use that, rather than the 5i? Their site seems, somewhat unhelpfully, not to have any kind of changelog, so it's hard to tell whether v7 is the same but better, or an entirely separate project.

karlsmith, Jun 27, 2009
  9. karlsmith

DutchDK

Not to my knowledge, but the problem ain't that big if you only have a OS X machine. Download, burn and boot a Ubuntu LiveCD, then download and run unetbootin for Linux in the Ubuntu LiveCD environment.

DutchDK, Jun 28, 2009
  10. karlsmith

RussellF

Just to clarify, you run unetbootin on another machine to prepare the USB stick, so you do that on any linux/windows machine, then use that stick to install OS X on the AAO. You don't need an OS X version of unetbootin (sorry if I've misdiagnosed your misunderstanding)

RussellF, Jun 28, 2009
  11. karlsmith

karlsmith

Yes, I got that - my question was whether there was a way to do the same without a Linux/Windows machine. (I was vaguely able to do stuff in Linux about six months ago, but I'm a bit rusty now, and Windows machines are somewhat thin on the ground in my world. Neither's impossible, though)

Now downloading the iAtkos 5i... but internet connections in this part of the desert are not the fastest. More as and when...

karlsmith, Jun 28, 2009
Ask a Question